nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
blw

Richmond, US
27134 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Which Camera"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Sun 03-Feb-13 10:53 PM

I don't see it. I particularly don't see it since I'll guess that the use of your images is web publishing, email or small prints. ("Small" defined as being 16x24" or less, which is straightfoward to produce from a 12mp file.) If you're really just looking for a backup - meaning something you don't plan to use unless your main camera is on the blink, I'd recommend spending as little as possible. Say, a D100 or a D40x - which you should be able to find for around $175-$250. If you have older screwdriver AF lenses, you'll want one of the D100, D80, D50 as they are the only lower-spec (ie inexpensive) ones that have focusing motors.

> ... well built for the elements, i do shoot out in the snow.

None of these are "well" suited to bad weather. Frankly, even the D4 isn't well suited to bad weather - it is "weather sealed" until Nikon decides it was "too much." Far safer is to put any regular camera into a good rain cover. I use a pretty big and relatively expensive ThinkTank Hydrophobia, but there are less expensive ones. The Hydrophobia is good enough to shoot in a torrential downpour and have basically no water on the camera or lens.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic Which Camera [View all] , kellyorourke , Sun 03-Feb-13 10:11 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Which Camera