Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7497
View in linear mode

Subject: "Strange over exposed arc artifact at fast shutter speed..." Previous topic | Next topic
digitalbio Registered since 21st Jan 2013Mon 21-Jan-13 08:03 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Strange over exposed arc artifact at fast shutter speeds in d5100?"
Mon 21-Jan-13 10:38 PM by digitalbio

Bainbridge Island, US

I've had my d5100 for almost a year and a few weeks ago I noticed that on a few of my photos shot against a blue sky there was a very faint overexposed arc towards the left third of the image (landscape mode). I was able to track it down to only images taken with very fast shutter speeds (>1600) regardless of lens used (in one case, a Sigma 150-500, in the other, the Nikon 10-24mm wide angle). This artifact was in the same place in the images regardless of the location of the light source. I've put some sample images here

http://www.billkraus.com/Other/Nikon-D5100-problem/27396694_Dn3rcV

I sent my camera into Nikon two weeks ago (just a month shy of the warranty running out), described the problem and pointed them to the example photos. I received it back today - but the repair notice indicates 'no problem found'. Unfortunately, the weather here is such that I won't be able to take test shots for a few days, but I was wondering if anyone has seen this before, as I am worried that they didn't really investigate the issue. Could it have been something inadvertently fixed via the complimentary 'check & clean' (fyi - my sensor has been cleaned before this)?

UPDATE: Its still there. Used yet another lens (Nikon 55-300) and took a few shots on a very overcast day - sure enough, the arc was there at fast shutter speeds. Contacted Nikon and they asked me to send them some sample NEFs. This artifact can't be normal.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicStrange over exposed arc artifact at fast shutter speed... [View all] , digitalbio , Mon 21-Jan-13 08:03 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Strange over exposed arc artifact at fast shutter s...
WildIsle Silver Member
24th Jan 2013
digitalbio
24th Jan 2013
digitalbio
13th Feb 2013
digitalbio
01st Mar 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
16th Feb 2013

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7497 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.