Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7464
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Focus, Sharpness and Resolution" Previous topic | Next topic
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 20-Jan-13 02:24 PM
3317 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Focus, Sharpness and Resolution"
In response to In response to 2

Hatboro, Pa, US

You want the focus to be as accurate as possible. The most accurate is the very center point. I would set the AF area mode to single point and to center point by pushing the OK button.

I would also increase the shutter speed by increasing the ISO to maybe 400 at least. The D5100 will still give you fairly noiseless photos unless you crop everything to 100%. If the bird starts to fly your 1/200 speed won't cut it.

I don't know the characteristics of your AFS 55-200mm lens at 200mm. You are shooting wide open. I would normally stop down the lens one stop to f8 for greater depth of field. The Pro telephoto lenses are very sharp wide open, the DX zooms maybe not so much.

Given the three areas I mentioned above I frequently use high ISO settings like 1600 and fast shutter speeds on my FX bodies and a little less with DX.

And as mentioned above you want a longer lens, maybe in the 400mm and 500mm focal lengths.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicFocus, Sharpness and Resolution [View all] , Pipewelder , Sun 20-Jan-13 04:55 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Focus, Sharpness and Resolution
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
20th Jan 2013
Pipewelder
20th Jan 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses
20th Jan 2013
Pipewelder
21st Jan 2013
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
20th Jan 2013
Pipewelder
21st Jan 2013
WD4MLA Silver Member
20th Jan 2013
Pipewelder
21st Jan 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses
21st Jan 2013
Pipewelder
22nd Jan 2013
22nd Jan 2013
Pipewelder
22nd Jan 2013
pistnbroke
23rd Jan 2013
Pipewelder
23rd Jan 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”
20th Jan 2013
Pipewelder
21st Jan 2013
WildIsle Silver Member
20th Jan 2013
Pipewelder
21st Jan 2013

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7464 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.