nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Reflex nikkor 500/8 on D5xxx or D3xxx

blw

Richmond, US
27447 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Reflex nikkor 500/8 on D5xxx or D3xxx"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Tue 01-Jan-13 05:40 AM

The Tamron isn't better than the Reflex-N. It's equal at normal distances - very equal. Indistinguishable, in fact, since these don't have metadata tags in EXIF. I only know which one produced the images because of dates that can be correlated with my KEH.com receipts When the Reflex-N and the Tamron are used with a PN-11 extension tube, the Nikkor turns out to be better; or actually, the Tamron isn't very good at minimum focus. But as a regular telephoto as shown above, they're surprisingly good. Far better than the "oh don't bother they are hopeless" Internet reputation that is associated with mirror lenses.

None of the shots above were done with LiveView - mostly because they are mostly from the D2h, which has no LiveView. The baseball shot was on a D3 but not with LiveView either, since I was tracking the action in the viewfinder the traditional way. But on a tripod I would certainly use LV. What you're not seeing is the large number of slightly out of focus images that I don't show... but obviously I get enough good ones to continue using the lens...

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic Reflex nikkor 500/8 on D5xxx or D3xxx [View all] , meper , Mon 31-Dec-12 07:24 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Reflex nikkor 500/8 on D5xxx or D3xxx