Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Ellis Feibush

Summit, US
285 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Which Nikon?"

Ellis Feibush Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009
Sun 30-Dec-12 10:39 AM

I just bought a D5100. The price certainly was right and it was a Christmas gift to myself. Well, I found myself looking for very quick and more direct ways around the camera to set ISO, white balance, picture controls and other things. You can use the (i) setting to get to many of these things but it isn't as explicit or direct as pressing a button as on the D7000 or D300.I have also set the "Fn" button for ISO. That's pretty fast. I haven't made any prints yet but understand they are the same quality as the D7000.
The point is once you become used to the convenience of setting these things more directly, it's hard to become too enthusiastic about the user features on the D5100 IMHO. For me, in terms of "usability", the D5100 is a step down from the D7000. But, of course, so was the price.
"Nothin' for nuthin" as my father used to say. You get what you pay for. For me, the D5100 was a step down even though it was offered at a great price, price isn't everything!

efeibush

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Which Nikon? [View all] , ithompson72 , Thu 27-Dec-12 01:50 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Which Nikon?