nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
James23p

Memphis, US
10397 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Lens/Aperature Confusion"

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004
Wed 05-Dec-12 04:28 AM

If you have the kit lens it is a variable aperture lens meaning its max aperture at 18mm is f3.5 and at 55mm it is f5.6 so that means the lens at 18mm is max f3.5 to min f22 and at 55mm it is max f5.6 to min f22. Being that its max aperture is variable its max aperture at lets say 35mm maybe f4.5 to f22. Nikon and most stores list the max apertures for the shortest and longest focal length but not the minimum aperture. Just a marketing tool I think.

Here's a link to Nikon USA's sire with its spec's listed.

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/en_US/pd/ThemeID.18145600/productID.213458300

Hope this helps some if not ask some more I know im not the best at explaining lens tech but you could ask this in the Nikkor forum there are a ton of lens experts.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

Click on image to view larger version

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

A general, generic topic Lens/Aperature Confusion [View all] , Mr Bill , Wed 05-Dec-12 03:22 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Lens/Aperature Confusion