Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6722
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash / No Flash Question" Previous topic | Next topic
s1p Registered since 18th Sep 2012Tue 18-Sep-12 03:39 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash / No Flash Question"

US

After shooting with Sony Alpha's for the past 5 years, I decided to take the leap and switch over to Nikon. I recently purchased the 5100, and since then, I'm debating on if it was a good idea, instead of going with the D7000. With that said, hopefully someone can help me figure out (or understand) what's going on with my flash setup.

First, the setup - 5100 in 'A' mode, AWB, ISO 100, Continuous, AF-S, Single Point Focus, Center Weighted Metering, ADL-Auto, Auto-Bracking OFF, 0.0 Exposure AND Flash Compensation. Len is Nikon AF-S 50 @ f1.8, but same results with kit lens. Internal Flash CLOSED, external flash attached (Sunpak DigiFlash 3000). I was doing a dim studio shot, so lighting wasn't 'ideal' but was composed for the shot and not for the camera

Now, the 'problem' that's driving me nuts!

Using the exact settings listed above with the external flash turned OFF and powering ON the camera, the 'flash' icon is grey, but the '?' is flashing saying too dark. Release shutter, photo is good.

Now, if I turn the external flash ON, the 'flash' icon goes white, like I should. Release shutter, photo is good.

Now, the kicker. If I turn OFF the flash (And leave it physically attached) - the 'flash' icon on the screen stays white. Push the shutter button and ... Zip - Nada - Nothing.

If I switch to 'M' and do the exact same as above, there's no difference.

My question is this - is there any way to override the 'hey, you REALLY need flash, so I'm not going to let you take a photo' setting? Some shot's I want to use flash, some I don't and out of habit from the A580, I just reach up and turn off the external flash. Since the 5100 doesn't have a 'No Flash' option (That I've found) with a external flash or wireless trigger attached, its a real hassle.

Any ideas, suggestion or solutions are extremely welcomed. Anyone with a D7000 that can chime in on this as well is very welcomed, since I don't want to get the D7000 and run into the same issues!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicFlash / No Flash Question [View all] , s1p , Tue 18-Sep-12 03:39 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flash / No Flash Question
Leonard62 Gold Member
19th Sep 2012
s1p
19th Sep 2012
MEMcD Moderator
19th Sep 2012
s1p
20th Sep 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
20th Sep 2012

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6722 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.