nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6713
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Getting to know my D3200... questions" Previous topic | Next topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 17-Sep-12 06:23 AM
27027 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Getting to know my D3200... questions"
In response to In response to 0
Mon 17-Sep-12 06:25 AM by MEMcD

US

Hi John,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new Daughter and D3200.

Q1:
What exposure mode are you using?
How low is the ambient light level that you want to shoot in?
Assuming your subject is static, To prevent blur due to camera shake the Rule of Thumb is use a
Shutter Speed = 1/1.5 x Focal Length hand held (using the viewfinder).
In other words if you are shooting with the lens set at 50mm, the minimum shutter speed = 1/75 ~ 1/80th sec.
If you use Live View hand held, I would use a shutter speed 3 or 4 times faster as a minimum.

At 50mm your lens will be wide open at f/5.6
If you use Aperture (A) priority mode you will have to increase the ISO until your shutter Speed is 1/80th sec. Keep in mind the lower the ambient light level the higher the ISO setting that you will need.
The higher the ISO the more noise will be in the image.
The alternative is to use the base ISO and the Built in Speedlight.

Q2:
If you want the camera to perform faster, turn off Live View and use the viewfinder.

I have been wearing Glasses since I was 5 or 6 years old and learned Photography using range finders and Nikon Film SLR's decades ago.
I have 5 bodies with Live View and only use it with the Camera mounted on a tripod mostley when Manually focusing when shooting at Macro distances.

Once you get used to using the viewfinder you won't want to use Live View. Holding the camera out in front so you can see the rear LCD makes the camera much less stable than using the viewfinder and propper hand holding technique. The added stability will allow you to capture sharper images resulting in better over all Image Quality and a higher rate of Keepers.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicGetting to know my D3200... questions [View all] , JohnD3200 , Mon 17-Sep-12 05:16 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Getting to know my D3200... questions
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
17th Sep 2012
JohnD3200
17th Sep 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
17th Sep 2012
stevenchadg72
23rd Dec 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”
23rd Dec 2012

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6713 Previous topic | Next topic