nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6460
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Nikon Service Experience" Previous topic | Next topic
grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Fri 17-Aug-12 01:14 PM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon Service Experience"
In response to In response to 9
Fri 17-Aug-12 01:16 PM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

All of the pix were taken from a solid tripod.

The really frustrating part of the "softness" is in the pic of the goldfinch. Had it been in sharp focus, I think it would have been a magnificent picture. (Note that it is a cropped picture. For the full picture to be displayed on my monitor, it would be reduced to 25% of full size - as were the last eight pictures.

Now, here's a wonder question. I was trying to get a good picture showing the problem to send to Nikon along with the camera. The birds weren't cooperationg so I decided to take a picture of the feeder. It has lots of dark horizontal and vertical lines to focus on (the distance is 15 feet and the lens is at 200mm). While I was waiting, I started fooling with the diopter adjustment and carefully adjusted its focus on the cage of the feeder. Then I shot some pix and when I checked, they seemed considerably sharper than before. (Flowers taken at 2 feet didn't seem to benefit that much from this adjustment)

I saw a diagram of the mirrors and sensors in another model of Nikon (D90, I think) and it showed the focusing sensor on the bottom of the camera and the picture sensor (the "film") on the back. Is it possible that the focusing sensor on the 5100 is on the top, after the diopter adjustment? Does anyone know of a site that has a diagram of the internal layout of the 5100?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicNikon Service Experience [View all] , grnzbra Silver Member, Thu 02-Aug-12 05:09 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon Service Experience
cwils02 Gold Member
03rd Aug 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Aug 2012
aolander Silver Member
04th Aug 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
04th Aug 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Aug 2012
grnzbra Silver Member
16th Aug 2012
Lolrogge Silver Member
16th Aug 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
17th Aug 2012
17th Aug 2012
grnzbra Silver Member
17th Aug 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
18th Aug 2012
grnzbra Silver Member
18th Aug 2012
kenjifujiwara
31st Dec 2012

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6460 Previous topic | Next topic