nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D5100 as an unobtrusive travel camera?

cwils02

HIXSON, US
823 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D5100 as an unobtrusive travel camera?"

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012
Tue 24-Jul-12 03:08 PM

I spent last summer shooting with a D5100. I mostly shot with the 18-200 VRII. Not so sure that the lens made it look inconspicuous. It is one heck of a lot lighter than the D300. Since I recently broke my collarbone, I have started using it again.

The D5100 is "SO" different from the D300. With the articulating monitor, many controls that Nikon users depend on are not available. Since I was also shooting video intermittently, I found it most convenient to shoot Aperture Priority. There is only one control wheel. Shooting in A, the wheel controls Aperture. Then I made sure the Fn button (in an awkward--for me--location on the left) was set to control ISO. I did get a lot of good shots. The higher MP count made up a little for the lack of longer glass.

As far as unobtrusive is concerned... One thing that I noticed was that the shutter sound irritated certain wildlife like Black Bears, and Bald Eagles. It helped me get a good shot of a Bald Eagle, causing it to look right at me before flying off. I got a lot of mean looks from bears. One actually took a few steps toward me. The locals moved away from me, with keys in their hands. The bears finally decided they were more interested in the Sockeye Salmon than me.

Charlie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! D5100 as an unobtrusive travel camera? [View all] , Nikon32250 Silver Member, Tue 24-Jul-12 12:34 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D5100 as an unobtrusive travel camera?