nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D5100 as an unobtrusive travel camera?

Covey22

US
11142 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D5100 as an unobtrusive travel camera?"

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter Member
Tue 24-Jul-12 03:07 PM

I have a D3100 and a Nikon J1. See my review for a comparison photo of the two side-by-side (50mm on the SLR, kit 10-30 on the CSC). A direct link to the photo is below:

http://www.seriouscompacts.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6264&title=j1-unbox-006-web&cat=670

Honestly, even with the very discreet 35mm f1.8 DX on the larger camera, it's hands down with the Nikon 1 for every day carry. It's so light and unobtrusive. The camera is immediately discounted as just another P&S, which helps keep people from staring or reacting. The focus performance is as advertised, and in low light, I find that face detection helps contrast detect AF operation. It's quite fast compared to previous compacts I've owned. The smaller sensor does impose restrictions on available light operations, but upcoming faster lenses (or use of the FT-1 with FX or DX lenses) addresses that. Even at it's slowest, the kit lens exhibits fine grain characteristics like film, so it's not objectionable luminanance noise, and all current NR software can tone that down adequately.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

This is a hot, active topic! D5100 as an unobtrusive travel camera? [View all] , Nikon32250 Silver Member, Tue 24-Jul-12 12:34 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D5100 as an unobtrusive travel camera?