nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Your thoughts? 2 days left to return D3000 for D5000

denvermtnguy

US
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Your thoughts? 2 days left to return D3000 for D5000"

denvermtnguy Registered since 14th Sep 2009
Wed 23-Sep-09 05:23 PM

I am a 57 year old guy with a love of the visual arts and a bit of a techie side. For some reason, I have only just found photography as a potential rich hobby.

I just bought a Nikon D3000, believing the GUIDE mode would outweigh certain of its limitations -- that the D5000 offered. I have a day or two to return the camera. I have just enrolled in a very small and rich photography class and now feel fairly certain, I will be in this hobby for the longer haul.

Question: knowing this, am I unnecessarily worrying about differences in these cameras? I am somewhat leaning to returning the D3000 for the D5000, to get easier access to ISO adjustment, many more scene modes and auto-exposure bracketing, etc. (I don't think the movie featureset is very important.) I was also thinking of getting the D5000 with a 18 -105 VR lens, instead of the kit 18 - 55 VR lens of the stock D3000.

I have taken a few instructional courses online and now understand the basics of exposure and the professional v. scene modes and am not so sure I need the GUIDE mode. Originally I was drawn to the D3000 because I thought this tool would absolutely insure my learning the camera. Now I suspect my commitment to that is certain and I already have a grasp of the basics the GUIDE mode offers help with.

What do folks with some experience and judgment think? Am I just doing the beginner's "I need better equipment" dance when the D3000 is plenty of equipment? Or, while I have the chance, does it make sense to upgrade for a few hundred dollars - if I am already worrying about these features and the more versatile single lens?

Sincere, sincere thanks so much for anyone's ideas, comments, thoughts and judgment!!!

A general, generic topic Your thoughts? 2 days left to return D3000 for D5000 [View all] , denvermtnguy , Wed 23-Sep-09 05:23 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Your thoughts? 2 days left to return D3000 for D50...