nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6291
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Flowe type hoods" Previous topic | Next topic
Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012Mon 02-Jul-12 04:04 AM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Flowe type hoods"
In response to In response to 3
Mon 02-Jul-12 04:07 AM by Skyco

Roanoke Island, US

>>Welcome to Nikonians, Antonio
>>
>>You're right that many "professional" lenses
>come
>>with a flower- or petal-shaped lens hood. Such hood work
>>better to shade unwanted light because the camera image
>is
>>rectangular, not round. The hoods have deeper
>>"petals" at the top and bottom, medium at the
>sides
>>and shallowest in the corners.
>>
>>However, the front of both of your lenses rotates when
>you
>>focus - that means that the hood would rotate too, and
>would
>>therefore be misaligned, causing black shadows along the
>>edghes and in the corners of the image
>>
>>Pro lenses tend to have non-rotating front parts, hence
>they
>>don't have this problem.
>
>Thank you for the reply, i so guess i am stuck with the stock
>hoods. Oh well, i thought i would give it a try.

Welcome to Nikonians Antonio,

I have a pedal lens hood for the Nikon 18 - 55 wide angle zoom lens It is a screw in model so you can adjust the side blades if they get in the way. I notice that the focus rotation of the front lens isn't much but if it gets in the way you can rotate the side blades.

I will happily trade you even for your non pro looking lens hood.

I hope you enjoy your Nikons. You have very good equipment.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyco_g/

"Humans don't rise to the occasion. Instead, we fall to our level of training and experience". Archilochus, a Greek soldier and poet.
The best photo advice I ever received was at a John Shaw workshop. "... Practice your craft... ... Pixels are free...Practice... experiment with your camera".

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicFlowe type hoods [View all] , adinis Silver Member, Fri 29-Jun-12 04:42 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flowe type hoods
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
29th Jun 2012
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
29th Jun 2012
adinis Silver Member
29th Jun 2012
adinis Silver Member
29th Jun 2012
Skyco Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012
adinis Silver Member
02nd Jul 2012

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6291 Previous topic | Next topic