nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What are your iso Sensitivity Settings for D5100

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: What are your iso Sensitivity Settings for D5100"

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Tue 19-Jun-12 08:10 PM | edited Tue 19-Jun-12 08:13 PM by jpFoto

Edit: Whoops, I meant to reply to reply #0.

I almost always use Auto-ISO. I think it is the best invention since sliced bread, but I also understand why others feel differently. I don't have the D5100, but I do have a D3200 which has a similar sensor as far as high ISO quality is concerned. I use a maximum ISO sensitivity of 3200 most of the time and feel very comfortable about using 6400 in certain circumstances. I also set my minimum shutter speed to 1/125.

That being said, I can echo what the others have said, qualifying their answers about needing higher shutter speeds for action shots and longer focal length lenses. I also concur with what Marty has said about turning off Auto-ISO, or lowering the maximum setting, when you are using flash since it will almost always choose the highest setting in low light conditions. You might also want to read through a couple of the recent posts about flash and Auto-ISO settings.

Marty is also right about needing an almost perfect exposure at the higher ISO settings.

jP

A topic tagged as having a question What are your iso Sensitivity Settings for D5100 [View all] , jammike , Tue 19-Jun-12 01:33 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What are your iso Sensitivity Settings for D5100