nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Camera sensor have dust or sand in it

Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US
3853 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Camera sensor have dust or sand in it"

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Sat 02-Jun-12 01:21 PM

Hi Ginalisa.

First a couple checks.
Have you set the automatic sensor cleaning options from the setup menu? Page 210 and 211 in the manual. This will generally get rid of most of the dust. I doubt you have sand. If you do then you put the camera some place where you shouldn't have.

Use a bulb blower like the Giottos. This normally takes care of 99% of the spots on the sensors filter. It will not clean the sensor if the spots are caused by oil drops.

If everything above fails, then the sensor filter will need a wet cleaning. In the last 10 years or so I've owned maybe 10 digital cameras and only had to wet clean the sensor filter once. And that was my fault. A drop of water got on the sensor.

If you wet clean I would recommend a pro do it. And don't buy a generic cleaning kit you might see advertised by an on-line store. They are a rip off. You only need the Giottos bulb.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question Camera sensor have dust or sand in it [View all] , Ginalisa27 , Sat 02-Jun-12 10:13 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Camera sensor have dust or sand in it