Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Strange AF focus point choices

24 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Strange AF focus point choices"

TBF Registered since 24th Apr 2012
Tue 29-May-12 09:08 PM | edited Tue 29-May-12 11:23 PM by TBF

I recently shot several score photos of a friend's child in my back yard in good afternoon backlighting with my 5100 and a 28-300. Most shots were at base ISO, 50-200mm with the aperture wide open for the focal length. I was reasonably happy with the results, but thought that the focus could have been sharper. When I looked at NX2 Focal Point choices (All at taken at AF-A and Auto) I was rather shocked to see that the face was almost never chosen as a focal point no matter where in the frame it was located. From reading K R and T H I had come to believe the "truism" that Nikon AF, with its color sensitive algorithm would seek out and focus on the face. Not so in this case. Can anyone out there explain this? Thanks in advance: the community on these forums is a marvelous resource for photographers. Tom Forker TBF
UPDATE: Screen Caps don't seem to work so I photographed the monitor and posted it to my gallery
UPDATE; Just now it only seems to come up under Focusing Issues in the Gallery Search

A general, generic topic Strange AF focus point choices [View all] , TBF , Tue 29-May-12 09:08 PM
Reply message RE: Strange AF focus point choices