>The camera will not recognize changes made to image files >(including numbering) not made in the camera. > >>I also switched the d3 option: "File number >>sequence", to "ON". According to the >>documentation, when this option is on, the highest file >number >>on the card is checked, and the next available one is >used. > >Again, the camera will only recognize image file numbers >created in the camera. When you modified the file names, the >camera lost the ability to read them.
Thanks for that answer, but it still reads them without any problem, in fact. I'm only having a problem with the numbering scheme, but as I tell later in this message, the behaviour with newly formatted cards is identical.
>>However, when I try to use that configuration, it seems >that >>the highest file number on the SD card is not taken into >>account: a new folder is systematically created (so, >here: >>103D5100), and the numbering restarts from 0001 ! > >That is what I would expect the camera to do in that >situation. In other words: the camera is working as it was >designed to.
Then there is a discrepancy between the documentation and reality. Here is what we can read on page 162 of the Reference Manual, regarding the d3 setting, "File Number Sequence":
Option "on": "... file numbering continues from the last number used or from the largest file number in the current folder, whichever is higher."
I made a test with 2 newly formatted SD cards, without manually fiddling with the file names, and the behaviour seems to be the same as what I saw on the one on which I had manually changed the names.
With the setting d3 "on":
1) inserted 1st card. Took 10 photos. That created a "100D5100" folder, and 10 files: "DSC_0001.JPG" to "DSC_0010.JPG" in it.
2) removed 1st card and inserted 2nd. Took 2 more photos. That created, on the 2nd card, a folder named "100D5100" (as on the 1st card) and 2 files: "DSC_0011.JPG" and "DSC_0012.JPG". That seems pretty logical up to now.
3) chose "reset" for d3 setting, in order to reset the camera's internal number to 0001. Took 1 more photo. So, on this 2nd card, as the manual correctly states it on page 162, a new folder was created (named "101D5100") and a new file, named "DSC_0001.JPG", was put in it. So far, so good.
4) removed the 2nd card, and inserted back the 1st one (the one with the 10 files). According to the manual, as the last file name on that card is "DSC_0010.JPG", whose number is higher than the internal counter, the next filename should be "DSC_0011.JPG", but instead, the camera created a "101D5100" folder and went on to "DSC_0002.JPG" in that folder.
So, I wonder:
1) where my error or misunderstanding is, and so 2) when is the described behaviour (as quoted above) in the manual supposed to show up ? As I understand it, it can never happen, as the only way the camera's internal counter can be lower than the last created file is through a "reset" at some point, as I did it.