nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D5100 numbering scheme issues

btreguier

FR
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"D5100 numbering scheme issues"

btreguier Registered since 21st May 2012
Mon 21-May-12 10:16 AM | edited Mon 21-May-12 10:18 AM by btreguier

Hi there,

I'm quite new to this site, but have already browsed a few messages, and I think I'm quite likely to get an answer to my question here.

Here is my problem:

I began to use my camera, as everyone, without fully reading through the user's manual. So I was a bit puzzled when I saw that my camera, at some point, had created another folder on the SD card, and restarted numbering photos from 0001 in the new folder. It didn't bother me immediately, but I thought that I'd however be better off if I could avoid filename "collisions". So here is what I recently did to (try to) correct the problem:

After saving my SD card on a hard disk, I made a litte script to rename the files so that their sequence numbers would be correct (I had 3 folders on my SD card: 100D5100, 101D5100, and 102D5100).

Now, I still have 3 folders on the SD card, but each DSC file has a unique number, the highest one being located in the last (102D5100) folder. So far, so good.

I also switched the d3 option: "File number sequence", to "ON". According to the documentation, when this option is on, the highest file number on the card is checked, and the next available one is used.

However, when I try to use that configuration, it seems that the highest file number on the SD card is not taken into account: a new folder is systematically created (so, here: 103D5100), and the numbering restarts from 0001 !

Does anyone have an explanation regarding that issue ? As far as I know, the file number (or name) itself is not part of the EXIF metadata, so I thought renaming the files would be sufficient to "fool" the camera and make it use the next sequence number... Apparently not.

Any idea regarding that issue ? Am I doomed ?

Thanks a lot in advance !

Bruno

A topic tagged as in need of help D5100 numbering scheme issues [View all] , btreguier , Mon 21-May-12 10:16 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D5100 numbering scheme issues