nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
srd1941

Waterville, US
22 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D5100 shapness"

srd1941 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2012
Sat 02-Jun-12 03:26 AM

Stonecherub
I don’t know what the menu in the D5000 is like but in my D5100 in the shooting menu under “set picture control” you use the right arrow on the multi selector to bring up the various pictures controls. I chose “Vivid” just because I like the look. Another push of the right arrow after selecting vivid brought up the adjustment screen. There you can adjust sharpening, contrast, brightness, saturation and hue. I set my sharpening at 6 and upped the saturation and hue to +1 each. This seemed to help somewhat but still blown up to 100% in View NX2 my pictures weren’t as sharply focused as my wife’s pictures. She was using the 18-200 like you have and her pictures are much better than mine. I pretty much agree with grnzbra in that what I did was in camera processing not focus adjustment. I know that the D7000 and other cameras have a feature called “Auto focus Fine Tune” which would probably solve my problem if it was available in the D5100. Also the information I get is that I need to develop better technique using the D5100 than I needed with the D60 because of the increased mp. I bought the camera because of the better ISO capabilities and other features instead of the 16 mp so if it’s the mp that is causing me problems with focus what would happen if I just set the image size to medium (9mp) instead of Large (16mp)? I haven’t tried that yet and that would be closer to the D60.
I’m mostly a snap shooter and that’s what I want to be. I’m not going to do portraits or ever attempt to make a dime with photography, just have fun. But I do like sharp photos just like I want tight joints in a wood project. It just seems strange that I can get them with my D60 and not my D5100. Like I said before, I’m going to run some more tests and if I can prove to myself that it isn’t just me then I’m going to go ahead and send it back to Cameta for an adjustment. I hope I can convince myself that it’s me and just figure out what I’m doing wrong. I really like the D5100.
Stan

Stan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D5100 shapness [View all] , srd1941 Silver Member, Sun 29-Apr-12 05:53 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D5100 shapness
          Reply message RE: D5100 sharpness
               Reply message RE: D5100 sharpness