Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New to SLR,D5000,what do you think?

Drbee

Naperville, US
5922 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: New to SLR,D5000,what do you think?"

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Wed 02-Sep-09 02:07 AM

Hi,

First the bad news. DSLRs can be complicated. Next the good news.... your's has Auto mode - that makes it a P&S.

You should first try to understand lighting and exposure. While you are doing that, never adjust more than one parameter at a time and in the process make sure you understand exactly what that adjustment is doing. That adjustment then becomes a tool in your DSLR tool-kit for solving some future problem as well as giving you the result you want at the moment. You could take this same discipline with a P&S camera, some cameras even allow for it easily; in the process your P&S images get better also. However a DSLR does not make you a better photographer or automagically deliver better images. When used right the DSLR delivers superb images.

You cannot adjust more than one parameter at once and expect to achieve repeatable results. Repeatable results lead to desired and expected results.

Of the images directly above, IMO there is nothing wrong with the exposure and the intensity on my very poorly calibrated screen is acceptable - I'm working from a "junk" laptop tonight. However, the first, second, fourth and sixth image are taken under very undesirable condition. The light is harsh and very contrasty. You and the camera did an acceptable job of dealing with the overall exposure, but because of the harsh light, they really need some point of interest. In the first, the lower right hand corner - just the purple flower cropped might be a start.

There is nothing wrong with visiting 17 capitals in 17 days using automatic. The adjustments on the camera are only for making the image better in a controlled way. Before you start making adjustments, have a plan for the problem you are trying to solve or the image quality you are trying to achieve before making the change and then determine if that worked.

My daughter uses a D5000, my wife a D70s; both use automatic mode or some of the other scene modes frequently. Their results are excellent. When they vary from automatic it is to solve a specific problem. Usually in aperture preferred mode to control the DOF. They both are starting to understand the nuances of exposure control and the differences between matrix, center weighted and spot metering and the results of those exposure tools on the camera-determined exposure. I think that is essential, but is unlikely to lead to any short term improvements in your situation - possibly even more confusion as it takes time for these concepts to sink in.

Relax, figure out what you can't get when you use Auto and then try to solve that specific problem with more questions or experimentation what ever works fastet for you.

Best Regards,

Roger
It is still ISO, aperture and shutter speed, right?
"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment."

A general, generic topic New to SLR,D5000,what do you think? [View all] , Larry E30 Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 , Tue 01-Sep-09 07:26 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New to SLR,D5000,what do you think?