Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #444
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Can an IR Filter Damage my D5000 without converting..." Previous topic | Next topic
Ruahrc Registered since 08th Jul 2007Wed 12-Aug-09 11:14 PM
1267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can an IR Filter Damage my D5000 without converting?"
In response to In response to 0

Ann Arbor, US

putting an IR filter on the front of the lens without converting the camera will not damage the camera, although it will prevent imaging of any kind as well until the filter is removed.

DSLRs have an IR-blocking filter right in front of the camera sensor to prevent IR from degrading visible light images. The conversion process removes this filter thus allowing IR wavelengths to be captured by the sensor.

By putting the IR filter on your lens (which blocks all light except IR), you have cut out all the visible light from entering the lens. The IR light that does make it through the filter, however, is stopped by the IR blocking filter on the sensor. Thus, no light at all is reaching the sensor and your images will be black. That is why the remote test did not work- the IR emitted by the remote is still being blocked by the filter on the sensor, hence the need for conversion.

Hope this makes sense

Norman

Some of my pictures

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A topic tagged as in need of helpCan an IR Filter Damage my D5000 without converting? [View all] , ionphoenix , Wed 12-Aug-09 09:16 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can an IR Filter Damage my D5000 without converting...
Ruahrc
12th Aug 2009
ionphoenix
13th Aug 2009
thosmm
13th Aug 2009

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #444 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.