Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3388
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: GPS for Nikon D3100" Previous topic | Next topic
zulor Registered since 30th Sep 2012Sun 30-Sep-12 07:20 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: GPS for Nikon D3100"
In response to In response to 0

US

Well there is very little information about hooking up your D3100 with GPS devices - and after much research I thought I would share the method that I went with.

First off, I opted to not use any of the "wired" methods as I think its inconvenient to do so for many reasons (I don't like taking up my hot shoe with things other than a flash, I hate holding a camera with wires hanging everywhere, etc..) In addition, most of the "wired" options are outrageously priced. And most of the "wired" units are powered by your camera's battery and thus are a nasty little power drain.

I went with the bluetooth option - A bluetooth adapter + bluetooth GPS receiver. This option will assure you MUCH less battery drain because the GPS receiver has its own power source. You'll only be powering the adapter which uses very little of your battery

This is how I did it:

I bought a bluetooth adapter that plugs into the GPS connection slot - it was called the AK-N90 and I bought it for $39.99 @ http://www.semsons.com/akblgpsadfor.html - the device is very small and it is still easy to handle the camera with it plugged in - personally, I hardly notice it. As stated above, the power drain is extremely small in that you would have to try very hard to notice the extra power drain on the battery.

Then I bought the GlobalSat BT-368i Bluetooth GPS Receiver for $24.00 @ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018YZ836/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 This GPS receiver is TINY. Haven't had any issues with it - battery lasts all day for me thus far. Just put it in your front pocket or something and move along.

Total cost for this option: $64.00 - Thus far it has worked perfectly all the time. Got a trip to Italy coming up, I'll let everyone know how it holds up over there. Either way, as it stands now, I would highly recommend this option. This option should also work well on the D90.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A topic tagged as having a questionGPS for Nikon D3100 [View all] , muffybunny , Mon 21-Mar-11 07:52 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: GPS for Nikon D3100
natashachen
25th Mar 2011
muffybunny
25th Mar 2011
justindd
03rd Jun 2011
wellsiem
05th Jun 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
04th Jun 2011
zulor
30th Sep 2012

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3388 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.