nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #146
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report" Previous topic | Next topic
mfaccone Silver Member  Bend, US  Nikonian since 28th Apr 2008 Wed 29-Apr-09 06:08 PM
429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report"
In response to In response to 0
Wed 29-Apr-09 06:11 PM by mfaccone

I played with one at our local brick and mortar shop for about an hour.
Both the Manager and I were really trying to find all the faults of this thing. Bottom line is, as a consumer camera, there isn't really any that stand out.
I was impressed with the High ISO abilities. At dark subjects, ISO at 3200, the grain was very acceptable and almost better than my D300 at that ISO. Actually, I think it was better. I didn't have a side by side comparison.
LV seemed to focus a little faster than my D300 as well.
The added SCENES weren't all that compelling to me, but then we didn't use them the way they were described to be used. It could help someone shooting a snow scene and keep the snow white.
I have bigger hands and was hoping the camera to be at least another inch tall. If there could be a way for aftermarkets to design a battery grip it would be more comfortable for big hands to hold. But its not that bad with a light lens.
It would have been better if they had used the 18-105 for kit lens instead of the 18-55 just for the extra reach and still being lightweight.
Video seems smooth when set at 13 : 9 but you only get 5 min.
The book says you can get 20 min video if you set to a lower res.
5 min. is plenty long though.. since if I want to shoot video I would get a camcorder instead... but that's my opinion. I can see where it can be very useful to some.

The ONE thing I didn't care too much for was the way the screen went into the body. They could have made just a little more room so you could get a GGS screen protector on it and still let it close. If you want to use those, you will have to keep the LCD facing outside like a normal one does, otherwise you have to use those thin disposable protectors.
Also, if you are limited on the positions you can put the monitor in while mounted on a tripod. They really should have let it swing out the side instead of bottom mounting.
All in all though, I think this camera is worth the price if you are upgrading from the d40 or d60 and as a second throw around camera or backup if you have a d300 or d90.

Mark

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote

A general, generic topicD5000 Unscientific Handling Report [View all] , markpsf Silver Member, Sat 25-Apr-09 11:44 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
26th Apr 2009
Reply message JRP - Your First Report Awaited markpsf Silver Member
26th Apr 2009
Reply message RE: JRP - Your First Report Awaited edac
26th Apr 2009
Reply message RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report ms_pacman
27th Apr 2009
     Reply message RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
27th Apr 2009
     Reply message RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report mfaccone Silver Member
27th Apr 2009
29th Apr 2009
Reply message Live View and LCD markpsf Silver Member
29th Apr 2009
Reply message RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report greenwing Gold Member
29th Apr 2009
29th Apr 2009

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #146 Previous topic | Next topic