nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #146
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 Unscientific Handling Report" Previous topic | Next topic
markpsf Silver Member  Woodacre, US  Nikonian since 14th Jan 2006 Sat 25-Apr-09 11:44 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 Unscientific Handling Report"

I spent a half hour working with one in Best Buy today.
I've also handled extensively the Olympus E-620 and have the D90.
My comments should be taken with the following serious limitations in mind lest anyone draw any conclusions at all:

a) shooting within the confines of Best Buy is very limited (ex. an action shot consisted of a customer moving as if on qualudes between counters)

b) the lens was the kit lens, very limiting, and I couldn't try any telephoto shooting at all

c) I didn't have the time with the salesman being tied up by my time with the camera to really examine photos carefully in playback

d) not being able to switch back and forth between cameras makes some of these impressions very very subjective

With all that in mind and in no order of importance.

A very quiet shutter - nice for candids

Viewfinder very useable but not quite as bright as the E-620 and, of course, not anywhere near as good as the D90

LCD in Live View at waist level both very useful and also slightly limited re focusing and lag time....fine for composing. The LV/LCD on the Olympus seemed brighter to me, slightly faster, and easier to use for focusing. But boy would I not want to swear by that since I didn't use them side by side.

Very light with the kit lens and also felt very comfortable to hold.

As others have said, comparing this and the D90, for all the similarities, seems like apples and oranges to me. The D90 feels and works like a lighter weight

semi-pro (at least!) camera. The D5000 is clearly a consumer camera and it should sell like hotcakes. It's a neat camera. The articulated LCD and quiet shutter still tempt me a bit re candid and street shooting.

Between the E-620 and D5000 if one didn't have an investment in either system to begin with it would be a hard pick in terms of handling. I'd give a slight edge to the E620 for operation, though I have a hunch the actual results with the Nikon DX system will give the D5000 a slight edge there.

Now I look forward to seeing some effective reviews of the D5000.

Mark

Mark

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote

A general, generic topicD5000 Unscientific Handling Report [View all] , markpsf Silver Member, Sat 25-Apr-09 11:44 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
26th Apr 2009
Reply message JRP - Your First Report Awaited markpsf Silver Member
26th Apr 2009
Reply message RE: JRP - Your First Report Awaited edac
26th Apr 2009
Reply message RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report ms_pacman
27th Apr 2009
     Reply message RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
27th Apr 2009
     Reply message RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report mfaccone Silver Member
27th Apr 2009
29th Apr 2009
Reply message Live View and LCD markpsf Silver Member
29th Apr 2009
Reply message RE: D5000 Unscientific Handling Report greenwing Gold Member
29th Apr 2009
29th Apr 2009

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #146 Previous topic | Next topic