Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1352
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: New D5000 user... have I damaged my camera?" Previous topic | Next topic
Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Mon 15-Feb-10 04:08 PM
5655 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New D5000 user... have I damaged my camera?"
In response to In response to 0
Mon 15-Feb-10 04:13 PM by Drbee

US

If you camera still works normally, I doubt if you damaged anything. Most of the focusing motors (AFS) in the lenses have a clutch that prevents any damage. Was your camera turned off when you removed the lens? You should always turn off the camera before removing any parts. If it wasn't turned off, you might have heard the focusing motor working against any supplied voltage to the lens. It should still be OK, but take the proper precautions before removing the lens - turn off the camera, work in a clean and preferably in an environment with clean air and minimum air circulation - do this in an attempt to keep the sensor free of dust.

You might want to investigate the Nikon 70-300mm AFS VR lens. It would be a excellent, reasonably-priced lens with a much longer telephoto effect for distant subjects. There are several variations of this lens, the one I have in mind is http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/2161/AF-S-VR-Zoom-NIKKOR-70-300mm-f%252F4.5-5.6G-IF-ED.html.

Your existing lens is a very capable optic. Another lens that is a nice lens for subjects that are not very far away is the 35mm f/1.8 AFS DX lens. You might find this lens a surprise for your portrait and maybe dog pictures. If you set your current lens to 35mm you will see the coverage that the 35mm f/1.8 lens provides. The advantage of a second lens with this angle of coverage is 1) a faster lens that lets you take images in lower light and is a bit easier to see through for focusing and composition in lower light and 2) very good image quality at wider apertures with the wider aperture giving you a bit smoother out of focus background, something that creates a three dimensional effect in your images - separating your subjects from the background. If you set you existing zoom to 35mm and don't find that the image is interesting or see an obvious application - just move on .

Best Regards,

Roger
It is still ISO, aperture and shutter speed, right?
"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment."

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A topic tagged as in need of helpNew D5000 user... have I damaged my camera? [View all] , barkbark , Mon 15-Feb-10 03:36 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New D5000 user... have I damaged my camera?
Drbee Silver Member
15th Feb 2010
MEMcD Moderator
16th Feb 2010
nateccnn
16th Feb 2010
barkbark
16th Feb 2010

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1352 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.