nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

JPG vs RAW, and simple editing RAW

nateccnn

Reno, US
22 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: JPG vs RAW, and simple editing RAW"

nateccnn Registered since 06th Feb 2010
Sun 14-Feb-10 02:46 PM

Somehow I think your are not getting what is being said here. It's not the monitor. The camera applies post processing changes to your jpg file. The same way a computer can apply post processing to the raw image. You can also apply post processing to the jpg on the computer, but you are not starting with a file as seen through the lens of your camera when you do that to a jpg as it has already been post processed.

Each program you use for post processing will give slightly different results on your monitor. In a perfect world the monitor would be calibrated by the display driver and all programs would use that as a base and they would all display the colors the same. But if CS4 is using an adobe RGB (1998) spec and your other program uses sRGB and another program uses Apple RGB...well you can see that all three programs will display slightly different tones of colors. In order to get everything the same, all the programs must be set to use the same specs and your cache has to be cleared and all sorts of other settings have to be set the same and it's a real pain in the tucos. And that is just so the programs all display the same thing. JPG and RAw will almost never look the same even in the same program. For that to happen you'd have to tell the camera to apply no processing to the jpg. And even then, jpg is compressed so it's going to press similar tones into one tone and it will not be the same as the RAW anyhow.

Phew...my head hurts now.

Nate

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic JPG vs RAW, and simple editing RAW [View all] , xjermx , Thu 11-Feb-10 12:43 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: JPG vs RAW, and simple editing RAW