Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1317
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: JPG vs RAW, and simple editing RAW" Previous topic | Next topic
xjermx Registered since 10th Feb 2010Sun 14-Feb-10 03:38 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: JPG vs RAW, and simple editing RAW"
In response to In response to 0

US

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify a bit:

I'm pretty accustomed to shooting JPG and using Picasa.

I've checked monitor calibration and such, and even tried shooting pics of objects that I could easily hold right up beside the image on the monitor for a side-by-side comparison. I've experimented a little more lately with Photoshop CS4, and have gotten some good results, but I still see a difference when comparing the way Picasa displays a RAW image, and the way others including CS4 display it.

While the colors tend to be more vibrant with CS4, I believe that the colors and skin tones are "off" from what we see with the naked eye. Viewing two images side by side, the JPG sometimes seems more appealing to the eye, with brighter colors, darker blacks and shadows, and more "flush" skin tones, but the RAW image, as displayed, seems more life-like, although appearing somewhat washed out, beside the JPG.

I'm scratching my head here. Not certain if it is just my monitor, I'll try uploading some comparison shots this week to see if I can share what I'm seeing.. Honestly I don't think its the monitor.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicJPG vs RAW, and simple editing RAW [View all] , xjermx , Thu 11-Feb-10 12:43 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: JPG vs RAW, and simple editing RAW
blw Moderator
11th Feb 2010
nateccnn
13th Feb 2010
MEMcD Moderator
13th Feb 2010
Donald Kahn
13th Feb 2010
nateccnn
13th Feb 2010
Donald Kahn
13th Feb 2010
JosephK Silver Member
13th Feb 2010
Donald Kahn
14th Feb 2010
xjermx
14th Feb 2010
nateccnn
14th Feb 2010
rectangularimage Silver Member
16th Feb 2010

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1317 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.