Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1317
View in linear mode

Subject: "JPG vs RAW, and simple editing RAW" Previous topic | Next topic
xjermx Registered since 10th Feb 2010Thu 11-Feb-10 12:43 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"JPG vs RAW, and simple editing RAW"

US

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Having just gotten my hands on a d3000, I've been experimenting with all of the options, and finally made my way to RAW. I'd been shooting in JPG, and enjoying the pictures, but I've never had a camera that shot in RAW - I knew a relative amount *about* RAW, but had never touched it. A bit of google searching led me to such gems as "If you're asking 'should I be shooting in RAW or JPG?', then JPG is fine for you." Still, I switched to RAW and started shooting.

What I found was that there was a noticeable difference, even without any manipulation on my part. The RAW images seemed to have more "real" color, contrast, shading, etc. The JPG images, in comparison, all seemed.. well, processed.

I tried three or so programs to bring up the RAW images, and ultimately found that Picasa seemed the best for me - I'm already accustomed to using it, and the RAW images look better in it than they do in ViewNX or even Photoshop. I'm a little surprised at this, and keep wondering if maybe my untrained eye or lack of knowledge is convincing me that one image is superior to another.

So with all of that said, I'm looking for input from you folks. I'm totally in the amateur category, and though I might do a bit of tweaking on a photo here and there, I'm not going to spend tons of time editing images at this point.

Were you in my shoes, what would you use? Why?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicJPG vs RAW, and simple editing RAW [View all] , xjermx , Thu 11-Feb-10 12:43 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: JPG vs RAW, and simple editing RAW
blw Moderator
11th Feb 2010
nateccnn
13th Feb 2010
MEMcD Moderator
13th Feb 2010
Donald Kahn
13th Feb 2010
nateccnn
13th Feb 2010
Donald Kahn
13th Feb 2010
JosephK Silver Member
13th Feb 2010
Donald Kahn
14th Feb 2010
xjermx
14th Feb 2010
nateccnn
14th Feb 2010
rectangularimage Silver Member
16th Feb 2010

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1317 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.