Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1072
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Can anybody offer advice for my D5000? Thanks!" Previous topic | Next topic
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 29-Dec-09 12:42 AM
26463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can anybody offer advice for my D5000? Thanks!"
In response to In response to 0

US

Hi Jason,

Welcome to Nikonians!

>Hey everyone! What a GREAT website! I am new to SLR
>cameras, and am already learning a lot from this site. I was
>wondering if you all wouldn’t mind sharing some of your advice
>with me. I got the Nikon D5000 for Christmas with the 15-55,
>and 55 -200 VR lens from Costco. I would really like to get
>the most out of this camera and hope that I will be able to
>add to collection of “digital art” with it. I mostly take
>portrait, and landscape shots in a photojournalism style. So
>with that said…

Congratulations on your new kit!
You might consider getting "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.
It will help get you up and running using Manual exposure mode.

>Is these the lens you would recommend? I hear the 70-300 is
>a “must have” as is the SB600 speedlight.

The lenses that you have are a great place to start!
Use them to gain experience. With enough experience you will find the limitations of the kit lenses and be able to make an informed decision on the best lens to fit your needs.
The Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR is an excellent lens but it also has its limitations. The same thing can be said of the SB-600. Before you decide on adding more kit learn how to use what you have. Remember that adding gear is addictive!

>I was also told to
>get clear lens covers, and uv filters… all of which if still
>in the process of reading about.

You might want to read the following article on the Pros and Cons of using Protective Filters: http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/uv_haze_skylight/uv_haze_skylight_filters1.html
Read the article and make up your own mind. Digital camera do not need UV filters. If you decide on using a protective filter use a multi-coated clear filter such as a Nikon NC or Hoya Digital Pro 1. As for clear lens covers... Why?

>Basically since I am a
>beginner to all of this I am hoping some of you could point me
>in the right direction as far as accessories I should get, or
>what attachments would make my end results best.

You might want to consider a quality Microfiber lens cleaning cloth and a Giottos Rocket Blower, ans well as a camera bag, an extra memory card or two and a card reader if you don't have one.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A topic tagged as having a questionCan anybody offer advice for my D5000? Thanks! [View all] , moxyman , Mon 28-Dec-09 04:46 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can anybody offer advice for my D5000? Thanks!
Donald Kahn
28th Dec 2009
Floridian Silver Member
28th Dec 2009
MEMcD Moderator
29th Dec 2009

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1072 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.