Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1072
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Can anybody offer advice for my D5000? Thanks!" Previous topic | Next topic
Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Mon 28-Dec-09 06:30 PM
2707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can anybody offer advice for my D5000? Thanks!"
In response to In response to 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>... I got the Nikon D5000 for Christmas with the 15-55,
>and 55 -200 VR lens from Costco...

Excellent setup. You'll be pleased!

>Is these the lenes you would recommend? I hear the 70-300 is
>a “must have” as is the SB600 speedlight...

You will get various recommendations on this. The lenses you have form the basis for a very good kit. Personally, I think the 18-55 and 70-300VR make a better pair, because you get a longer telephoto. You won't miss the gap between 55mm and 70mm, so my preference would be to exchange the 55-200 for the 70-300VR. The downside on this is that the 70-300VR is larger, heavier, and more expensive, and as the 55-200 you have is a good lens, there is an argument for keeping what you have.

As for the Speedlight, others can give you a better recommendation. It doesn't seem useful for landscapes. For portraits it may be helpful, depending on the lighting that is available where you are taking them.

>...I was also told to get clear lens covers, and uv filters...

UV filters won't help your photos, and may hurt, as they put another layer of glass between your subject and the sensor. Many people use them as protection for the front element of the lens. If anything gets banged or scratched, it will be the filter, not the lens. You don't need the filters, but get them if you want a layer of protection for your lenses.

As to clear lens covers, I've never heard of them, and the only reason I can think of to use them is to allow light into the lenses when they are not in use to prevent fungus from growing on the glass (which does happen). This would require your storing the lenses where sunlight can reach them. There would be no benefit to using clear lens covers and then storing your lenses in a dark case. (I didn't even know clear lens covers were available!) While fungus is a potential problem, it is rare, and occurs when lenses are kept in humid conditions. Again, I don't think you need them, and if you decide you want them, you do have some time to think about it.

You're pretty much good to go with what you have. Your best strategy for learning is to use what you have, see what results you get, and think about how your results could improve. Much of this will be technique (composition, exposure, etc.), and should you run into a situation where your current equipment isn't quite up to what you want, that would be the time to think about adding to it.

Randy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A topic tagged as having a questionCan anybody offer advice for my D5000? Thanks! [View all] , moxyman , Mon 28-Dec-09 04:46 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can anybody offer advice for my D5000? Thanks!
Donald Kahn
28th Dec 2009
Floridian Silver Member
28th Dec 2009
MEMcD Moderator
29th Dec 2009

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #1072 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.