nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What causes this?

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
7636 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: What causes this?"

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Fri 23-Sep-11 10:18 PM

Hi Bryan,

Here's my correction of you photo.

I started by correcting the purple fringe. I selected the fringe area with the magic wand. I added a hue/saturation adjustment layer. I went to the blue channel. Using the far left eyedropper I chose a spot in the blue fringe to sample what needed correction. I adjusted saturation and lightness as necessary. There's still a little ghosting there, but it's no longer blue, so it doesn't stand out. If I was using the photo for publication, I'd do some more work and finish off the ghosting completely. I just wanted to show you what could be accomplished.

Once going I did a few other things. I went back to the background. The photo has a distracting light area directly under the young lady's chin. Using the clone tool I eliminated that. I think this was as important or more important than ridding the photo of the fringe. I personally found that light area extremely distracting from the young lady's beautiful face.

Not one to under-post-process (LOL), I then proceeded to adjust the curve of the photo just a smigeon, then the overall brightness and contrast. Finally with Nik Sharpener Pro 3, I selectively sharpened both the young lady and the soccer ball. Sharpening really punched out the young lady from the background, in my opinion.

All of this took about 2 minutes, once I got to my office about 15 minutes ago. I think you can see that the processing has made improvements in the photo.

The next time you're out taking night soccer photos I'd do a bit more experimentation. I'd see if you can bump up the ISO some more without adversely affecting the photo with regard to noise. I just don't remember how far you can go with a D90, but it would be worth it to try. At the current ISO there is no noise problem at all, at this time. If you can move to a higher ISO, you can close down the aperture an equivalent amount.

You can also unexpose a bit more than you currently have. The young lady's forehead is still a bit overexposed anyway. You can always bring it back with curves or levels, etc. according to which software you use. I'd unexpose via closing down the aperture.

You could try a UV filter, but for now I'd skip the expense and see what else you can do. With the boundary area as strong as it is in your photo, I personally doubt a UV filter will actually help anyway.

Regards,

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

A general, generic topic What causes this? [View all] , Uscbryan Silver Member, Tue 20-Sep-11 05:52 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What causes this?