Here is a spreadsheet for keeping track of the menu item settings in your D700.
I started with the D3 spreadsheet (thanks guys!)
1) It is color coded to match your menu's color codings in the LCD.
2) It is formatted for printing (portrait orientation).
3) It indicates which menu items are saved and restored using the "Save/load configuration" feature of the D700 (I have not tested this yet).
4) It is password protected, the password is in the notes section.
5) It reflects firmware 1.01
As I just got my D700 today, I would really like to see someone with some experience with the D700 post their settings. I was going to use the settings from my D200, but the images came out pretty bad - so I have reset the menus and started over.