nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Mt. Pinatubo Crater

htan

Ringoes, US
424 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Mt. Pinatubo Crater"

htan Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2009
Fri 17-Jun-11 05:43 PM | edited Fri 17-Jun-11 05:43 PM by htan

Thanks for your kind comments Armando!

Yeah, some other facts I found out about the crater from the guides working there, they tried, but actually couldn't successfully measure the depth of the water. Maybe the needed some more hi-tech equipments. We took a small bangka (boat) to the other side of the crater, and where the water meets the ground it was actually boiling. I thought for a second it was just air coming out from the ground, but true enough, I got scalded when I touched that section. So, I'll venture a guess that there's still seismic activity going on underneath.

I still remember the day it erupted. I was walking home from church, when my eyes kept getting irritated (napu-puling). I thought they were just dry and ignored it. Later that night, when I was walking outside, I almost slipped because the pavement was slippery. I thought somebody was doing some construction work and spilt sand on the walkway. Well, the next day when I woke up, everything was light gray, it looked like it snowed. That's when I found out that the mountain turned into a volcano!

Two months later, Clark and Subic closed. Not sure if it was because of lease negotiations or the volcano that finally did it since they happened around the same time. But you're right, it did bring a big slump in that region's economy.

Cheers,
Hector
Flemington, NJ Nikonian

Hector Tan Photography

My Nikonians gallery

A general, generic topic Mt. Pinatubo Crater [View all] , htan Silver Member, Fri 17-Jun-11 05:09 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Mt. Pinatubo Crater