New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

TIFF or DNG for Converted Files?

sfbillm

Is from: Santa Fe, US
870 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"TIFF or DNG for Converted Files?"

sfbillm Registered since 14th Jun 2004
Thu 27-Feb-14 06:25 PM
I'm faced with having to save the files I've edited with CNX2 in a format that other programs can read, so I don't lose the edits when I move to another image processing app.
(If you don't know yet why this is necessary, see the screams of frustration on the Nikon imaging forum here.)

So my question is: TIFF or DNG? My impression is that TIFF is the more widely supported. I also seem to remember reading the specs on a processing app that indicated that it, at least, had some limitations in what it could do with DNG as opposed to TIFF. But I could be wrong about both.

But the converted TIFF files are hundreds of MBs in size. To use that format will require me to make a very significant (given current budget) investment in terabyte-sized storage.

I've carefully weighed the option of staying with CNX2, and decided for my situation that is not the best way to go. (If you're interested in that discussion, I again refer you to that other forum.)

Any guidance will be really appreciated.

SantaFeBill

A topic tagged as having a question TIFF or DNG for Converted Files? [View all] , sfbillm , Thu 27-Feb-14 06:25 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: TIFF or DNG for Converted Files?