Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67140
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: PhotoMechanic Whys?? And Then What? (new to PP)" Previous topic | Next topic
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 26-Jan-13 03:02 AM
8609 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: PhotoMechanic Whys?? And Then What? (new to PP)"
In response to In response to 6
Sat 26-Jan-13 03:06 AM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

Many photographers believe a cataloging system eliminates the need for file structures. While it reduces that need, I rely heavily on a naming system, In addition, I am increasingly trying to apply title, captions, and keywords as early as possible in the workflow.

I ingest 30-40,000 images per year. Of that, I rate all the images on a 1-5 scale as follows:
1 = trash
2 = clear reject - reasons vary from soft to simply a lack of a key feature such as head position, catchlight, etc.
3 = keeper for a variety of reasons but wit a flaw - generally not edited
4 = Possible select - good enough to provide to clients, sell, etc. May include duplicates, verticals and horizontals of the same image, etc. Prob 5-8% of images shot.
5 = Best Selects of the year - these are rare and might be 5 -10 per year

After rating I discard all images rated 1 or 2. The 3's are my safety net - nothing borderline is ever discarded. And I have occasionally had to use my 3's for a client with a very specific request.

I make another round through the 4 and 5 rated images to identify my selects - the ones I plan to edit. These are color coded with a Red flag. After editing the flag is changed to Orange.

At ingest all folders and files are named. The folder name starts with the location, event, or other key identifier, then adds a sequential 2 digit code for the folder number of that day. A typical folder would be named Death_Valley_01_20130107

The images are renamed with the location, a 5 digit (now 6 digit) sequential number, and with the date in YYYYMMDD format.
A typical image would be named Death_Valley_101357_20130107.NEF

This approach means I never repeat a file name, I can quickly identify the file and folder, and I can find the file and folder by date.

Everything is backed up into a primary and secondary offsite backup. When I backup a file I group them by location or event. So I have a master folder called Death Valley, a folder in it called Death Valley 2013, and one or more folders per day with images from that location.

This means I have a very organized set of files. Every file has the same basic information and is searchable by more than one criteria. This can be very helpful if you need to find a specific image or review images for a particular location or event.

I try to caption and keyword everything before backing up. When traveling or dealing with large volumes, I do high level keywords on ingest and keep a backup copy of the unrated images. Then I do full keywording, rating, etc. when I return home and those are my backups.

This approach works pretty well for me, but there are certainly variations. I am headed toward a catalog program - probably from Camera Bits who makes PM. That will improve the ability to use the data in keyword fields and other fields.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

This is a hot, active topic!PhotoMechanic Whys?? And Then What? (new to PP) [View all] , Bravozulu Silver Member, Thu 24-Jan-13 04:55 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: PhotoMechanic Whys?? And Then What? (new to PP)
mklass Platinum Member
24th Jan 2013
cpopescu Silver Member
25th Nov 2013
nrothschild Silver Member
25th Nov 2013
mklass Platinum Member
25th Nov 2013
walkerr Administrator
25th Nov 2013
cpopescu Silver Member
25th Nov 2013
mklass Platinum Member
25th Nov 2013
08th Dec 2013
PerroneFord Silver Member
08th Dec 2013
PerroneFord Silver Member
08th Dec 2013
JonK Moderator
24th Jan 2013
25th Jan 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
25th Jan 2013
ericbowles Moderator
26th Jan 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
26th Jan 2013
ericbowles Moderator
26th Jan 2013
26th Jan 2013
26th Jan 2013
26th Jan 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
26th Jan 2013
26th Jan 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
26th Jan 2013
mklass Platinum Member
26th Jan 2013
26th Jan 2013
                              Reply message When is the test?
Bravozulu Silver Member
27th Jan 2013
                                   Reply message RE: When is the test?
ericbowles Moderator
27th Jan 2013
                                        Reply message Update
Bravozulu Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
                                             Reply message RE: Update
ericbowles Moderator
16th Mar 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
16th Mar 2013
ericbowles Moderator
16th Mar 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
16th Mar 2013
RudyH Gold Member
08th Dec 2013
sabbey51 Gold Member
11th Dec 2013

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67140 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.