nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) topic #67115
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Do any of you Lightroom 4 users convert your files ..." Previous topic | Next topic
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Wed 16-Jan-13 12:04 AM
26992 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Do any of you Lightroom 4 users convert your files to DNG and why?"
In response to In response to 0

If you do a search on the forum, you'll find that this is a pretty contentious issue. There are some folks who are militant about abolishing proprietary formats, and by and large those folks convert to DNG. Some folks figure that even if Nikon drops support for .NEF format files, it will be years if not decades before most software drops support for them, and there will be plenty of time to do the conversion if that should happen. (As an example, Photoshop still supports a whole variety of formats that haven't been actively developed in over a decade - and that's just the ones it can create!)

Personally, I fall into the latter category. I feed my NEF files to Lightroom and leave it at that. I can detect absolutely no reason at all to convert files to DNG, although I have no particular reason not to do it either, other than the lack of any compelling reason to do so.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Alert Print | Reply | Quote

A general, generic topicDo any of you Lightroom 4 users convert your files to D... [View all] , JBD90 , Fri 11-Jan-13 09:21 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Do any of you Lightroom 4 users convert your files ... esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
12th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Do any of you Lightroom 4 users convert your files ... mipo Silver Member
15th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Do any of you Lightroom 4 users convert your files ... blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
16th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Do any of you Lightroom 4 users convert your files ... ClickCardo Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Do any of you Lightroom 4 users convert your files ... JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
16th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Do any of you Lightroom 4 users convert your files ... craigcullum
15th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Do any of you Lightroom 4 users convert your files ... JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Feb 2013
     Reply message RE: Do any of you Lightroom 4 users convert your files ... craigcullum
16th Feb 2013

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) topic #67115 Previous topic | Next topic