nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Do any of you Lightroom 4 users convert your files to D...

blw

Richmond, US
27313 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Do any of you Lightroom 4 users convert your files to DNG and why?"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Tue 15-Jan-13 11:04 PM

If you do a search on the forum, you'll find that this is a pretty contentious issue. There are some folks who are militant about abolishing proprietary formats, and by and large those folks convert to DNG. Some folks figure that even if Nikon drops support for .NEF format files, it will be years if not decades before most software drops support for them, and there will be plenty of time to do the conversion if that should happen. (As an example, Photoshop still supports a whole variety of formats that haven't been actively developed in over a decade - and that's just the ones it can create!)

Personally, I fall into the latter category. I feed my NEF files to Lightroom and leave it at that. I can detect absolutely no reason at all to convert files to DNG, although I have no particular reason not to do it either, other than the lack of any compelling reason to do so.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic Do any of you Lightroom 4 users convert your files to D... [View all] , JBD90 , Fri 11-Jan-13 08:21 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Do any of you Lightroom 4 users convert your files ...