Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Do beginners need software?

Vlad_IT Vlad_IT

Is from: Brooklyn, US
1510 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Do beginners need software?"

Vlad_IT Registered since 21st Sep 2011
Sat 21-Jan-12 09:34 AM | edited Sat 21-Jan-12 02:14 PM by Vlad_IT
> do beginners really need software like
>Capture or above?

Derek, Welcome to Nikoninas.

I will share my personal point of vew.
I deliberately did not get any software right away, when I was buying a new camera. (I wasn’t total newbie, as I use to be a quite advanced photographer in film camera days).

I wanted to learn how to make most out of my new camera before I will start improve, no, read: “before I’ll start trying to learn how to start to improve” less than perfect out of camera images in Post Processing. Even the simplest dSLR camera is “too much to handle” for a beginner right out of box. I suggest to all beginners start shooting in jpeg. If you want to learn something, AND if you have free time to kill, In my opinion, this is the way to advance your level, as a photographer. If you won’t have a lot of time to spend with your “new toy”, then you might not have even time to spend at the computer eigher… and this will be a classic case of people using dSLR in automatic mode, just like P&S cameras.

If you have more or less important event, like family gathering, when everybody will expect from you some picture from your “Professional new camera” – just shoot in RAW (to be on a save side) and convert them in, supplied with the camera, Nikon View, or download free trial of LightRoom.

I read about photography daily, I take pictures daily and…. I discard 90% of my images from those “daily” sections. It’s just how I analyze and learn. Eventually I got a LightRoom, and switched to RAW format. But I heard that PhotoshopEelements 10 is more than adequate for many people and way less expensive.

And to answer your question – no, “it’s not necessarily” for a beginner to get a software. But most of the people, including me, are always on lookout for that “special” picture, everyone will say WOW about. And on that search road, we all hoping “that particular new piece of pro-grade glass” is all one needs (or a software, with tones of features, that only few people will ever use at 20% its potential, will finally result in that “Perfect one” special image.

Yes, this approach pays off more often than playing lottery, but’s it’s very expensive road to get better images out of you camera.

As rick mentioned above - extra software is a great tool to make a dull image to look a lot better, but i think without additional software it will be just a slower rate when you finally arive to "WOW" image.

I hope my post is not too confusing.

Best regards,
Vlad
This is a hot, active topic! Do beginners need software? [View all] , Derekng99 , Thu 19-Jan-12 08:52 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Do beginners need software?