nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #957
View in linear mode

Subject: "Keeping social shoots social - how to make subjects fee..." Previous topic | Next topic
timgee Basic MemberTue 06-Feb-01 03:24 AM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Keeping social shoots social - how to make subjects feel at ease"

Sydney, AU

Hi all,

This may of been discussed before, but I think it might still be useful...how do you make people feel at ease when you photograph them, especially with a larger SLR?

Case in point: I went to a party on the weekend, and after a few hours (as the alcohol set in) thought it would be a nice opportunity to snap off a few candid shots of my mates (and try out Kodak's Porta 800!). But, as soon as I pulled out my camera and speedlight, wow, did the mood change!

It seemed because I was using a larger SLR (and big speedlight), folks were way more aware of my presence (much more so than if I'd used a small point 'n' click), and as such, kept their 'guard' up or hammed it up expression wise for the camera.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on how best to deal with this and make people feel comfortable in front of a big camera, especially from those users who have the really big (F4, F5 and D1) rigs and shoot a lot of candid, informal or social situations (and need the results to communicate that).

Cheers!

tim

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicKeeping social shoots social - how to make subjects fee... [View all] , timgee , Tue 06-Feb-01 03:24 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Keeping social shoots social - how to make subjects...
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
06th Feb 2001
timgee
06th Feb 2001
f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources
06th Feb 2001
frankie
06th Feb 2001
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
06th Feb 2001
bgs Administrator One of the two c-founders, expert in several areas Awarded for his valuable Nikon product reviews at the Resources
06th Feb 2001
kdsmithjr Silver Member
07th Feb 2001
Newsphotog
19th Feb 2001

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #957 Previous topic | Next topic