Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #897
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Popular Photography, February 2001, issue" Previous topic | Next topic
frankie Basic MemberSat 20-Jan-01 06:42 PM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Popular Photography, February 2001, issue"
In response to In response to 0

Oh it really doesn't surprise me... In the music biz it happens all the time. In the 50's a guitar called the "Flying V" was made for the youth of that era - it's the one that looks like a V shape... Really bloody ugly.

Nobody liked them and they ended up being a very very limited production run. They were made of Carina wood - a specially resonant wood - although those guitars weren't really tone guitars, more like noise guitars electronics-wise.

Anyway, there are about 125 of the original ones left in the world. Do you want to buy one? Be prepared to shell out $120,000 for a guitar that Gibson couldn't GIVE AWAY in the 50's.

There are lots of people who'll gladly step up to the plate to purchase these jokes of the industry. Most of the time they're not even really interested in the applied field, and are more interested in it as an investment.

It's also timing... It's well known when an object attains high-value and that is when it's usually put into circulation by speculators and rumour builders.

That's why old F's don't command that sort of money, nor do most other old goods (like my vintage 1920's "whisker-crystal" AM radio - worth on the used market about 10$ if I can find someone really stupid enough to buy it.

Case in point: I wanted an old Bell metal 301 desk-set - like modern dial phones except they were cast iron, had a seperate ringer box and a great handset with a cupped mouthpiece. My dad told me you could buy them in the late 50's from Bell after they left rental-circulation for about $20 Canadian a set. I found one a couple years ago and the guy wanted $300 for it WITHOUT the bell-box...

So I got a cellphone instead...

Cheeri'o...
Frankie...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicPopular Photography, February 2001, issue [View all] , f5fstop , Sat 20-Jan-01 04:53 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Popular Photography, February 2001, issue
frankie
20th Jan 2001
Reply message RE: Popular Photography, February 2001, issue
jrp Administrator
24th Feb 2001

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #897 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.