Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Digital Imagin - a phylosofical question." Previous topic | Next topic
Mikepoison Basic MemberTue 27-Jun-00 08:51 AM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Digital Imagin - a phylosofical question."
In response to In response to 8

Amsterdam, NL

I would prefer to call it an honest voicing of opinion

There will be no barrage, you're right. I had the same thought when I woke up, wondering how the people who painted protraits for a living had reacted to the coming of the BnW photographs. I'm guessing they looked down at it, as it had no color, and therefor could never be a proper view of the person. of course, I'm just guessing. and now, with digital photography, as we keep getting more and more mexapixels, on smaller and smaller areas, the only limitation becomes the optics once again. digital imagery is more elaborate than photography, with more easily acceptable possibilities of manipulation and beautification. unlike photographs, it doesn't end with taking a roll to be developped, but it allows you complete freedom.

I agree that it's easier for a photographer to be a digital imager than the other way around, but only for the time being, as the resolutions and ISO sensitivity are insanely priced, and the true part of the camera, the optics, are second in limiting factor of the images. One day .. D1s for the masses.

Perhaps it is even necesary to redefine "digital imaging" in this opinion to "digital photography", because there are beautyfull realistic looking scenes that involved no photography at all generated on computers.

Perhaps digital imaging is the merger between painting and photography, as we try to go back to that personal level of changing and working with a base image, and see where it will end. Of course, there is a certain advantage to having an undo function. because there is an acceptable large large margin of error, as all can be undone, it will be looked upon as less than an artform from both photography and painting, but it's still art. (As any CG artist will tell you =)

Mike

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicDigital Imagin - a phylosofical question. [View all] , Mikepoison , Tue 20-Jun-00 06:03 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Digital Imagin - a phylosofical question.
AlanC
20th Jun 2000
AlanC
20th Jun 2000
BJ Nicholls
21st Jun 2000
Reply message The art of photography vs. and the art of CG
Mikepoison
21st Jun 2000
     Reply message RE: The art of photography vs. and the art of CG
Adesso
21st Jun 2000
BJ Nicholls
22nd Jun 2000
Mikepoison
22nd Jun 2000
R. Trawick
27th Jun 2000
Mikepoison
27th Jun 2000
BJ Nicholls
27th Jun 2000

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.