nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Helicopters and the Bambi Bucket Drill ...

HBB

Phoenix, US
8642 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Helicopters and the Bambi Bucket Drill ..."

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter Member
Thu 10-May-12 05:49 PM | edited Thu 10-May-12 06:10 PM by HBB

Lee:

My law enforcement photography for the last ten-plus years has all been volunteer, I receive no monetary compensation of any kind. I do it because I enjoy the challenge of the more complex scenarios, and as a way to give back to the community, particularly the law enforcement agencies that protect us.

The images are used for a variety of promotional, recruiting posters, public information brochures, etc. When we can find enough sponsors, we will print full four color calendars on nice coated stock and give them away. The last time this occurred was for the 2009 Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS). We had a sponsor that donated $25,000 which produced a press run of 25,000 copies. The printer, who is a great supporter of law enforcement agencies, gave us a terrific deal on the printing cost. We are currently seeking a sponsor for a 2013 calendar, as we have enough images.

I just finished printing 25 images from the current series of shoots, at 16 x 20 inches, that will be matted and framed, and hung in our city hall for several weeks as a promotional service for the department.

I always produce 8 x 10 inch prints of the law enforcement officers appearing in the images and give them to them. They are always grateful, as they never get these kind of images to show their families and friends. Over the years, I have met hundreds of outstanding officers, and developed several lasting friendships. Several years ago, neighbors began to comment of a side benefit of these friendships. Seems they like the idea of frequently seeing marked police cars in our driveway, as it offers them a bit of added comfort and security.

I will be 74 later this year and friends ask me how long I will continue to do this. My reply: "As long as I can climb into a helicopter and get the camera up to my eye."

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

This is a hot, active topic! Helicopters and the Bambi Bucket Drill ... [View all] , HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. , Fri 27-Apr-12 05:24 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Helicopters and the Bambi Bucket Drill ...
Reply message Great series of images, Hal!
Reply message RE: Great series of images, Hal!