Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #80102
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mobile Rig used for Law Enforcement Photography ..." Previous topic | Next topic
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberSun 26-Feb-12 12:56 AM
8415 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mobile Rig used for Law Enforcement Photography ..."

Phoenix, US

Here, at last, are photos of the rig I assembled several years ago for use in my law enforcement photography sessions. Thanks for your patience.

I was out last night with the department and its new, large, mobile DUI lab, where blood is drawn from suspected drunk drivers.

Images captured in RAW mode with Nikon D40x with on-camera SB800, prior to moving the rig into the lab for the interior shots.

The beauty of this setup is that I can roll everything around on the set, and not worry about tripping over cables, etc.

The entire rig, which was used last night on a set with the mobile DUI lab. The camera is a D3, with the Nikkor 24-70 mm F/2.8 lens, and a PW Multimax unit which triggers the six or eight remote SB800s equipped with Plus II or Multimax units used for the exterior shots. The D3 is mounted in a RRS L-Bracket, which is seen on the large RRS ball head. A second, older, Manfrotto ball head can be seen below it, which I occasionally use to mount a second camera.

Closeup of the accessory arm mounted on the Gitzo tripod, which is mounted on the studio dolly with soft rubber tires. The original tires were too hard, and I replaced them with these, which can be firmly locked.

I'm not sure, but I think the accessory trays used for the noteboook computer and battery pack are Manfrotto.

A Velcro strap is used to secure the notebook ccmputer to the tray. The mouse is a small cordless version, and the receiver module can be seen on the right side of the computer. The computer runs Nikon Camera Control Pro 2, which includes a combined histogram and highlight window, and a separatea, full screen viewer. Five seconds after the shutter closes, I have a fourteen-inch diagonal image for critique. It is also very useful to show the officers when making adjustments to their pose. I could not do these shots if all I have is the tiny, low resolution LCD screen on the camera.

The custom battery pack I had made. It will power the notebook computer for a couple days or more, at full brightness screen levels. It also includes a digital volt meter so I can tell when it is time to recharge.

Questions, comments, critique, welcomed.

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

This is a hot, active topic!Mobile Rig used for Law Enforcement Photography ... [View all] , HBB Moderator, Sun 26-Feb-12 12:56 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Mobile Rig used for Law Enforcement Photography ...
ZoneV Silver Member
26th Feb 2012
mklass Platinum Member
26th Feb 2012
avm247 Moderator
26th Feb 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
26th Feb 2012
HBB Moderator
26th Feb 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
27th Feb 2012
HBB Moderator
27th Feb 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
27th Feb 2012
HBB Moderator
28th Feb 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
29th Feb 2012
benveniste Moderator
29th Feb 2012
HBB Moderator
29th Feb 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
29th Feb 2012
JBS101 Silver Member
27th Feb 2012
HBB Moderator
27th Feb 2012
JBS101 Silver Member
27th Feb 2012
HBB Moderator
27th Feb 2012
JBS101 Silver Member
28th Feb 2012
HBB Moderator
28th Feb 2012
JBS101 Silver Member
28th Feb 2012
EpicDan Silver Member
28th Feb 2012
JBS101 Silver Member
28th Feb 2012
SilverBack
28th Feb 2012
HBB Moderator
28th Feb 2012

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #80102 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.