nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon Switzerland condemned to pay heavy fine

agitater

Toronto, CA
4322 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon Switzerland condemned to pay heavy fine"

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Tue 20-Dec-11 10:54 AM

>I have often the feeling that economy 'must' be global to
>satisfy some interests and then 'must' be local to satisfy
>some other interest, but normally to the benefit of the big
>corporations. Why a camera bought in the USA, paid in USD and
>with VAT duly paid at Spanish customs should not be serviced
>by local Nikon service? Is not Nikon Global brand?

Good question I think. You are correct that Nikon is a company which operates globally and which is a recognized global brand. But each region in which Nikon operates is served by a separate Nikon distributor and with its own separate marketing and merchandising relationships. Each region must operate profitably. So if I purchase something from an authorized dealer in Europe even though I live North America, the service costs structure in the Nikon region where I live and work doesn't in any way benefit from the purchase I made.

On the other hand, it's perfectly possible - at the cost of some expensive and extensive infrastructure changes - for Nikon to fairly globalize its technical service network. I just do not think that anything of the kind will happen any time soon.

Globalization is much easier to make deeper and more consumer friendly when the whole flying ball we're on is using one currency and when tariffs, taxes and all the rest of it have been globally unified. Do not hold your breath waiting for it to happen.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

A general, generic topic Nikon Switzerland condemned to pay heavy fine [View all] , olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. , Mon 19-Dec-11 07:02 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon Switzerland condemned to pay heavy fine