Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #75988
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Aperture, Shutter, ISO, and Illumination Relationsh..." Previous topic | Next topic
Zevi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2008Mon 03-Oct-11 07:49 PM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Aperture, Shutter, ISO, and Illumination Relationships"
In response to In response to 0

Ann Arbor, US

Greetings!

As an engineer, I'm always fascinated by tables that present clear relationships. For that reason, I really like this matrix of variables you created, Hal.

However: Very respectfully, I have to express my dissent with the content.

One of my favorite photography books is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. In his words (which is the way I also see it, hence I'm quoting him):

"A correct exposure was, is, and will always be a combination of your choice of the right size hole in your lens (the aperture), the right amount of time this light is allowed to remain on the digital sensor (the shutter speed) and the sensitivity to light (the ISO)".

The way I see it, achieving the correct exposure involves what the photographer can do to achieve it; other than few exceptions, the illumination is a given parameter that you need to work with. Sure, you can sometimes "help" by adding flash or close curtains on the windows, but these are the exceptions rather than the general case.

The image that is recorded on the sensor is simply a bunch of photons that were allowed into the camera: the photographer can only determine how many of them will be allowed, for how long, and how sensitive the sensor will be to record them. True, if we can influence how intense these photons are, it will affect how we set the components of this "exposure triangle", but so will other variables: we have filters, gels, we can change the polarity of the light, we have camera shake to work with, etc.

I think that there ARE only three variables involved in achieving a correct exposure; Illumination, like other external factors will affect the settings selected by the photographer and how the image will look. In engineering terms, I would consider it as a constraint, not a parameter that I can vary.

Hopefully this didn't sound too contrarian...

Cheers,
Zevi

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

This is a hot, active topic!Aperture, Shutter, ISO, and Illumination Relationships [View all] , HBB Moderator, Fri 09-Sep-11 12:01 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Aperture, Shutter, ISO, and Illumination Relationsh...
JonK Moderator
09th Sep 2011
HBB Moderator
09th Sep 2011
TheMohaveKid
09th Sep 2011
HBB Moderator
09th Sep 2011
TheMohaveKid
09th Sep 2011
HBB Moderator
10th Sep 2011
jordivb Silver Member
10th Sep 2011
HBB Moderator
13th Sep 2011
spootdad
25th Sep 2011
HBB Moderator
26th Sep 2011
spootdad
26th Sep 2011
blw Moderator
13th Sep 2011
DigitalDarrell Team Member
13th Sep 2011
HBB Moderator
13th Sep 2011
blw Moderator
15th Sep 2011
HBB Moderator
15th Sep 2011
Baaker Silver Member
21st Sep 2011
HBB Moderator
21st Sep 2011
Baaker Silver Member
22nd Sep 2011
KolinP Silver Member
25th Sep 2011
HBB Moderator
26th Sep 2011
Zevi Silver Member
03rd Oct 2011
voyageurfred Silver Member
04th Oct 2011
AreBee
08th Oct 2011
Fovea Gold Member
09th Oct 2011

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #75988 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.