nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #308
View in linear mode

Subject: "past... present... future???" Previous topic | Next topic
f8bthere Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberTue 25-Jul-00 12:39 AM
1326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "past... present... future???"
In response to In response to 9

DeLand, Florida, US

Doug,
I think that the thing that bugs me the most is the fact that in the "old" days, you could be certain that if you bought any lens in the Nikon line up that was annotated "Nikkor", you could be sure you owned on of the best lenses in that focal length at that speed that you could buy. For example, Nikon made three different 35mm lenses f1.4, f2.0 and f2.8. The f1.4 version is considered a classic... still sought today. But you could be confident that the f2.8 model would deliver within its functional range, the best optical performance possible... And it does. The moderate f stop negates the need for CRC and if speed is not required, the lens is very good. Basically, over the history of the line, only a very few lenses were below average... Nikon apologized for the 43-86 zoom (and it wasn't that bad)... and there was a pride in the ownership of the best equipment you could buy.

In the '80's when Nikon decided to seek actively the consumer market... they so designated the lower end lenses with the moniker "series E"... and made no bones about the reduced level of construction. The choice was clear... a Nikkor was a Nikkor, and we paid for them (justifiably so).

You are correct in that with today's technology... lenses can and should be better than ever. I stated that my AF 35mm lens was far superior to my MF version... But a lens should last far longer than 2 years. My budget will not allow me to buy on a reoccurring basis optically great lenses that have a built in expiration date due to short cuts in the mechanical process. Yes, now you can buy the most expensive Nikkors... usually the f2.8 zooms, and they should be fine.... (I don't know for sure, don't own any), but Nikon's history was made from the '60's, '70's, and '80's. Thousands of "war stories" of the legendary toughness of Nikons during wars, riots, in space and harsh environments gave the company it earned reputation. Any "bread and butter" Nikkor was a tool that wouldn't let you down.... the 150 dollar f2.8 or the 700 dollar f1.4... equally strong, equally sharp.

When I hold the current versions of the common range of fixed focus lenses, (my favorites), I some how can't ignore the fact that they don't feel as sound as even the series E lenses that I had in the past.... and these new lenses are called Nikkors. Optics are important, but the sharpest lens that can't hold up to the riggers placed on it will soon lose the confidence of the user who has experienced the other side of the coin... very good lenses that you just can't wear out. I guess that I'd feel better if Nikon would just go ahead and categorize the lenses into clearly delineated groups, as in the old series E days... But I fear the NIKKOR section would get pretty small.

Al

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicOlder Lenses, are they really better? [View all] , f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources , Wed 19-Jul-00 10:13 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Older Lenses, are they really better?
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
20th Jul 2000
frankie
20th Jul 2000
f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources
21st Jul 2000
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
23rd Jul 2000
frankie
24th Jul 2000
Reply message some opinions from a long time user
f8bthere Awarded for his contributions to the Resources
23rd Jul 2000
Reply message RE: some opinions from a long time user
Merlin
24th Jul 2000
Reply message somewhere else to look... more opinions
24th Jul 2000
Reply message RE: somewhere else to look... more opinions
24th Jul 2000
     Reply message past... present... future???
25th Jul 2000
          Reply message RE: past... present... future???
25th Jul 2000
          Reply message tokina ATX
25th Jul 2000
frankie
25th Jul 2000
25th Jul 2000
krf Silver Member
10th Aug 2000
Reply message new vs. old Nikkors
geo
26th Jul 2000
Reply message RE: new vs. old Nikkors
geo
31st Jul 2000
bgs Administrator One of the two c-founders, expert in several areas Awarded for his valuable Nikon product reviews at the Resources
01st Aug 2000
longlens Silver Member
07th Oct 2000

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #308 Previous topic | Next topic