nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How do you do it?

AdamDetrick

US
34 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"How do you do it?"

AdamDetrick Basic Member
Fri 25-May-01 02:40 PM

I'm on the path to become a professional photographer, and I'm begining to get worried. I still can't understand how people do it. I don't have any experience at all doing this as anything but a hobby, so that could have something to do with my ignorance on the subject.

In the fall, I'm going to start classes at the Ohio Institute of Photography and Technology. I plan on going the two years without stopping for summer, and I'm going to devote all of my energy toward getting a National Geographic internship. It's a big and difficult goal to set, but I want it enough to try.

My question is. . . How do professional photographer pull a career in photography off? One can't help but notice how expensive some of the required equipment is (for example, a really long fixed f2.8 AFS lens). At the same time, I can't help but notice how little opportunity there is for jobs. This could be a matter of where I live, though.

I just have problems seeing myself as an outdoor photographer, making enough money to support myself, or even buy the equipment I need to do my job. Anyone who can give some insight into professional photograhpy to someone just going into it would be apriciated.

A general, generic topic How do you do it? [View all] , AdamDetrick , Fri 25-May-01 02:40 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How do you do it?
Reply message Thanks . . .