nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #1008
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: random thoughts about...." Previous topic | Next topic
geo Basic MemberWed 28-Feb-01 10:53 AM
224 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to In response to 0

Roma, IT

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-01 AT 11:55 AM (GMT)

My real name is Giorgio. I choose "Geo" as a nickname for this site because it resembles an abbreviation of my own name, and because the word also means "Earth", our planet. For me, in fact, photography is a mean to discover the existing reality outside of our personal thoughts and ideas.

I am 40, and I live in Rome, Italy. I am a graduated engineer and an MBA. Since I understood that it was better to me to put my own life at top of my own priority list, I ended up with a job as financial advisor and in running a gym together with my brother and another friend. This way I get my money without wasting my time, so I have plenty of spare time. I can leave town on Friday at noon and come back to work on Tuesday morning. When I leave Rome, I make an about 150 km. drive to Maremma, the beautiful countryside in southern Tuscany where my fiancee lives; her name is Barbara, she is 33 and we are together since nearly 8 years. We will marry when we get adult. For now, we live in a beautiful small apartment full of sunlight in the tiny Magliano in Toscana.

Photography is not my only passion. Another big one is windsurfing. Actually, I am not sailing that much during Winter, but I am still out almost every windy day during Summer. I love to sail a "slalom" board in flat water: one can get so much speed he really gets scared. During Spring and Autumn, it's easier to get some wave sailing, althought here in Italy we seldom see nice waves.

I am very concerned with our environment. I do my best to keep this planet as beautiful as possible. This implies trying to leave things unaltered, and saving as much energy as possible. I am a very rare example of Italian male much more concerned with the MPG rather than the MPH of his car.
I try to record on film the beautiful natural sceneries I see in Maremma, with the secret hope this can help someone else to realize that, no matter what we do or what we think we are, we are just passing on this Earth for a short while, leaving most of the things we touch worsened and poorer. A great sunset will always be a great sunset, but one day somebody could see it framed by concrete buildings instead of tree branches.

I am using Nikon materials since 1996. Before that, it was Olympus. I really liked the Olympuses for their small size and weight. One could carry two bodies and four lenses in a small bag with no problem at all. I switched to Nikon (MF) because of reliability and optical quality. I feel uneasy with the new auto everything cameras: I always preferred "classic" manual focousing cameras, easy to use and sturdily built. I started with two FM2n and one MD12. After about two years I decided to give the F3 a try, so I bought a beautiful used one. I liked it so much that now I use the FM2n just for snapshots with colour neg film, while my "serious" photography is done with the F3 and Kodachrome slide film. A few months ago I was able to spot a brand new black F3/T for a very good price, so I bought it. I think the features found in a F3 (or a FM2n, FM3a, Leica R6.2, and... no, there is no more) are just what one could seriously ask, if he wants to decide how the picture will look like. I think there will be a new trend towards classic cameras since they fulfill the basic needs of most photographers with an elegance unfound in the new autoeverything plastic cameras.

I found the Nikonians site about one year ago, I think. I like this site because of the enthusiasm of the people here, and because it's a rather calm and polite place. What I do not like that much is a certain kind of fanatism about everything Nikon happens to produce. In my opinion, if a new camera or lens shows some shortcoming, it would be better for us photographers to state it clearly and loudly, so that next time the Nikon people will think twice befor making something silly.

I have a web site, http://www.infinito.it/utenti/maremmaphoto, where I show my landscape pictures. Unfortunately, when I am in Rome I am often in a hurry, so I do have little time to make it better.

Good bye to everybody,
Geo

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

This is a hot, active topic!random thoughts about.... [View all] , photobri , Thu 22-Feb-01 11:02 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: random thoughts about....
Duck
22nd Feb 2001
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
25th Feb 2001
Mikepoison
22nd Feb 2001
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
25th Feb 2001
Reply message my bio
sakman
22nd Feb 2001
Reply message RE: my bio
25th Feb 2001
jnscbl
22nd Feb 2001
Reply message Getting to know you......
Newsphotog
22nd Feb 2001
Reply message RE: Getting to know you......
22nd Feb 2001
photobri
23rd Feb 2001
25th Feb 2001
25th Feb 2001
frankie
24th Feb 2001
25th Feb 2001
frankie
25th Feb 2001
kdsmithjr Silver Member
24th Feb 2001
jaynel
24th Feb 2001
25th Feb 2001
25th Feb 2001
kdsmithjr Silver Member
26th Feb 2001
Reply message Details
timgee
25th Feb 2001
Reply message RE: Details
25th Feb 2001
Reply message Bio city
JM
25th Feb 2001
Reply message RE: Bio city
25th Feb 2001
bgs Administrator One of the two c-founders, expert in several areas Awarded for his valuable Nikon product reviews at the Resources
25th Feb 2001
25th Feb 2001
photobri
26th Feb 2001
26th Feb 2001
frankie
28th Feb 2001
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
01st Mar 2001
frankie
02nd Mar 2001
bgs Administrator One of the two c-founders, expert in several areas Awarded for his valuable Nikon product reviews at the Resources
07th Mar 2001
frankie
07th Mar 2001
08th Mar 2001
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
09th Mar 2001
Reply message unauthorized auto-biography ;-)
f8bthere Awarded for his contributions to the Resources
25th Feb 2001
Reply message RE: unauthorized auto-biography ;-)
25th Feb 2001
26th Feb 2001
gewe21
26th Feb 2001
karlmarx
27th Feb 2001
28th Feb 2001
28th Feb 2001
28th Feb 2001
carrieszoo
27th Feb 2001
28th Feb 2001
geo
28th Feb 2001
20th Mar 2001
Reply message My Random Thoughts
jstream Silver Member
28th Feb 2001
Reply message RE: My Random Thoughts
NikF2AS
01st Mar 2001
Arturo
01st Mar 2001
02nd Mar 2001
Johnny
04th Mar 2001
jnscbl
04th Mar 2001
Reply message Hello Nikonians
jrong
07th Mar 2001
Reply message RE: Hello Nikonians
07th Mar 2001
Reply message RE: Hello Nikonians
frankie
07th Mar 2001
finselmom
19th Mar 2001
20th Mar 2001
ibuyufo
21st Mar 2001

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #1008 Previous topic | Next topic