nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69753
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Beginning Night Sky Questions" Previous topic | Next topic
GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sat 17-Nov-12 06:08 PM
1944 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Beginning Night Sky Questions"
In response to In response to 0

Stamford, US

I like to use captures of the Milky Way to assess the quality of a lens. Though I am by no means an expert in Astro Photography, there are a few point that might be of interest to you:
- Most lenses don't have an infinity stop. It is therefore mandatory to establish the correct infinity setting for your lens by focusing on a far away subject during day light.
- The maximum exposure time to prevent appearance of star trails depends
on the quality of your lens. If you get blurry star images, the trails will be hidden in the blur. The direction in which you shoot is also a factor. For example, the Polar Star will not exhibit trails even at long exposures.
- The longer the exposure, the more stars you will see.
- If you only see few stars at edges of your picture, your lens exhibits significant corner softness.
- The Milky Way has a reddish hue when photographed, quite different to its appearance to the naked eye, since we don't see colors in low light.
- The best results you will get using a good wide angle lens at a large aperture and high iso. If you use noise reduction, the weaker stars will disappear.
- As an example I attach a capture taken with D700, Zeiss 25/2 @2.0, iso 3200, tripod, mirror up. Exposure was 8s (you can verify this by counting the flashes of the anti-collision lights of the plane; the frequency of the flashing in 1/s).

Tristan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicBeginning Night Sky Questions [View all] , MarcG19 , Tue 13-Nov-12 09:07 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Beginning Night Sky Questions
polardan
13th Nov 2012
GiantTristan Silver Member
17th Nov 2012
MarcG19
19th Nov 2012

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69753 Previous topic | Next topic