Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69753
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Beginning Night Sky Questions" Previous topic | Next topic
polardan Registered since 30th Sep 2012Tue 13-Nov-12 09:53 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Beginning Night Sky Questions"
In response to In response to 0
Tue 13-Nov-12 10:07 AM by polardan

Gisborne, AU

Here's a quick one. D700, 20mm lens, ISO 4000. F2.8. 30 second exposure.

I can't help you with the D90, sorry.

There is a lot of trial and error in getting the composition correct. However the sky doesn't tend to move away too quickly! In this shot, I was able to shine a torch on my boy to help compose (then set the timer and scramble up to join him) , but still needed several shots to get it all level. It was a absolutely pitch black otherwise (new moon, middle of the Australian desert), and stars were not really visible through the D700 viewfinder.

How much star movement depends on the time and the focal length. There are many on here far more educated than me on the subject so I won't go into it. But basically wider angle, less star movement, longer exposure possible.

The blurred stars at the top of the image are caused by the lens. Stopping down to F8 should prevent this, which I will try next time.

I have found that adjacent star images (with the same settings of course) join very well in panorama programs and I did this to get rid of the blurred stars in the corners of images.

The other thing you might look into is image stacking. Basically several photos taken consecutively, then blended by a program that realigns them.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/549569_10151003297916537_923056482_n.jpg

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A general, generic topicBeginning Night Sky Questions [View all] , MarcG19 , Tue 13-Nov-12 08:07 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Beginning Night Sky Questions
polardan
13th Nov 2012
GiantTristan Silver Member
17th Nov 2012
MarcG19
19th Nov 2012

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Landscape (Public) topic #69753 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.