Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #5205
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Wildlife Photography Tricks and Travel Reports." Previous topic | Next topic
csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberWed 16-Jan-08 01:25 PM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Wildlife Photography Tricks and Travel Reports."
In response to In response to 0

Colorado Springs, US

It was said once here, and then ignored, but in all reality no matter how much some may dispute the "Hunting" aspect of wildlife, it exists and will more than likely not go away. Hunters have been hunting since the dawn of time, and I suspect will continue till the end of time.

Ok, with that out of the way, why not do as the hunters do, are we not actually hunting as well? We as wildlife photographer we hunt, (to pursue with intent to capture).

So, what does a modern Bowhunter or Black Powder hunter do? Well as an avid Hunter (Bow & Black Powder) and Photographer, I have a couple of tips I would like to throw out on the table. These are ideas, opinions and tips are from the past decade of my hunting experiences and outfitting here in Colorado. Hunting is what actually got me into photography 5 years ago. As a point of reference, these tips have worked to the extreme that I have been able to get with in 9 yards of a Mountain Lion, as well as many other wild animals.

First and foremost, it takes two senses, and only two, to spook most wildlife (this is the majority of the rule, there are always exceptions). What does that mean, exactly? If an Elk only sees you, he will more then likely investigate and not run. If he only smells you, he will more than likely investigate and not run. If he hears you, he will more than likely investigate and not run. Put any two of these together, and poof... He’s gone!

So let’s look at these three "controllable" variables. (Scent, Sight & Sound)
Scent; with today’s technology there are a number of products available out there to help in this area.
First, do your best to use the wind in your favor. Remember that heat rises and cold falls. As the sun is coming up in the morning, and the temperature is rising, heat rises from the valleys to the ridges. If you are in the bottom of the valley, your scent will rise with the heat. Likewise when the temperature drops, if you are on top of the valley in the evening when the sun is going down, your scent will go down into the valleys with it.

Make yourself a wind-checker. Get a box of powdered corn starch from the grocery store and put it into a small plastic bottle. Squeeze the bottle and watch the direction of the puffed powder. (Corn starch is non-scented) Use this to keep the wind in your face.

As for scent elimination, there is no possible way to eliminate or cover the human scent 100%. However, you can change the intensity of your scent, thus "fooling" wildlife to think you are farther away than you actually are. Wildlife, when by design uses scent as a warning mechanism, knows from experience, how close a human is by the intensity of this scent. A wild black bear in Colorado can smell food from up to 40 miles away (source: Colorado Division of Wildlife). By changing the amount of scent dispersed from your body or equipment, and wildlife does catch your scent, their brain will assume you are farther away, at safe distance, and generally not spook. In some cases, I have seen Elk, Deer, Bear and Mountain Lion actually come in closer to investigate! Yes, using non-scented soaps is good, but not good enough. They don’t add any additional scent to your clothes or body, but they also don’t remove any of your existing human scent. Today’s bio-technology is invaluable! Robinson Labs makes a few products that I won’t go into the woods without. The Scent Shield (Hunter’s Bodyguard) product line contains non-scented soaps, but also has micro-biological enzymes that “eat” the human bacteria that cause human odors. Sounds gross, but it actually works.

Next, is the Scent Blocker line of clothing; these are carbon lined clothes that “absorb” human scent. Again changing the intensity of the scent your body gives off. The other benefits of these clothes, is that they come in different camouflage patterns to match your environment. The idea behind the patterns are to “break-up” your human form to an unrecognizable form. These are also made with super-soft materials to help soften the sounds that walking and moving can make, the quieter the better. Blinds and Decoys are also good tactics.

Robinson Labs: http://www.robinsonoutdoors.com

So, now you have changed the intensity of your scent, broken-up your natural form, are as quiet as possible and the wind is in your face; are you ready for the shot? Well, yes and no? You are if the wildlife happens to be grazing in your direction, or if you have spent months “pattering” the animal’s habits. Or, you can drop into one of the many free outdoor calling seminars, pick up a DVD or ask a hunter to show you haw to “talk” to wildlife. Learn some very basic communication skills for the species that you are going after. Calling, be it Elk, Ducks, Turkeys, Fox, Rabbits or Coyotes, is easy with a little practice. Mostly you want to learn what to “say” not necessarily how to say it. For instance, learning a Lost Calf call will get a Cow Elk to investigate most every time. I have actually had Elk here in Colorado come up to me to smell me to try to figure out what I am!

The catch, oh yeah, there is always a catch, is what I mentioned in the beginning. Getting the shot off with out the wildlife putting two of the variable together is not as easy as it may sound. If your smell intensity is minimized, and you don’t move, and they can’t hear you (typically) a wild animal will actually walk right up to you. I will caution you on this with the note that when you do move (and you will) and/or you make a sound (and you will) the wild in wildlife will come out and they will more than likely panic. Just don’t be in the escape route!

This is enough for now, if this post doesn’t torque anybody off, and you guys want Part II (using the above techniques to get the shot), let me know and I’ll post here in this thread.

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Pinned topicWildlife Photography Tricks and Travel Reports. [View all] , Photophil , Mon 03-Nov-03 08:55 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wildlife Photography Tricks
ddouxchamps
03rd Nov 2003
jrp Administrator
03rd Nov 2003
Photophil
03rd Nov 2003
drjimbob Team Member
03rd Nov 2003
Photophil
03rd Nov 2003
jrp Administrator
03rd Nov 2003
Photophil
03rd Nov 2003
CK Silver Member
15th Jun 2004
Photophil
24th Jun 2004
CK Silver Member
19th Aug 2004
Noel Holland Platinum Member
21st Jan 2007
MikeGraham
31st Jul 2004
CK Silver Member
19th Aug 2004
Dr Ellen
12th Sep 2004
mrsadie
05th Aug 2008
Reply message RE: No Deet on your hands
J C
08th Nov 2004
     Reply message RE: No Deet on your hands
CK Silver Member
01st Dec 2004
CK Silver Member
10th Sep 2004
CK Silver Member
08th Dec 2004
redlabel
03rd Jan 2005
Firelarz
24th Jan 2006
DavidRamey
25th Jan 2006
Firelarz
25th Jan 2006
Vermonter
04th May 2006
Reply message RE: Wildlife Photography Tricks and Travel Reports.
csgaraglino Silver Member
16th Jan 2008
Photophil
28th Feb 2007
Reply message RE: We want part 2
JosephK Silver Member
05th Mar 2007
surfgeod200
13th Dec 2007
WarrenWeldon
30th Oct 2009
Jimi Team Member
20th Dec 2009
pinedale
19th Jun 2012
C_Otto Gold Member
05th Jan 2009
rdj999
10th Apr 2009
marianak
08th Jun 2009
tommiejeep Silver Member
25th Nov 2009
MimiLina
30th Aug 2012

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #5205 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.